Saturday, January 15, 2022

Beaverdam Flats & Carburn Park January 15, 2022

A perfect package is what today was!  The weather was wonderful for taking time to enjoy everything while being "out & about".  The topping on the cake was seeing a "lifer" as I hiked through the Flats which you will see later in this post.   This is one of my favourite views when I get to this spot while the sun is coming up. After savouring the sight, I'm then ready to get moving along the trails.

view from the trail closest to the Bow River
a view looking up while meandering along the forested trail
The trail was well packed from prior days.  
If I hit it early, I can own it!
The Downy Woodpeckers were in abundance both in Carburn Park and at Beaverdam Flats.  
The plan for today was to make sure to make it to The Flats.  I planned that before but would get caught up in the sights of Carburn Park and not get that far.  On my way to Beaverdam Flats, a long stretch follows right beside the Bow River.  The duck population here is humungous.  For some reason these three  male Harlequin Ducks followed the male Common Goldeneye for quite some time.
a male Bufflehead with a water drop on its bill
female Common Goldeneye
Soon after I arrived at Beaverdam Flats and began hiking the loop, I spotted a bird I had not seen before.  It was the size of a Robin, the colouring of a Snow Bunting, looked like a cute little ball of beige fuzz,  yet it had a hooked bill.  I was able to capture a great photo which makes for an easier identification process once I arrive home.  So, this is a Northern Shrike, a "lifer" for me!  I won't go into detail about this bird, I would just like to believe it still is a cute little ball of beige fuzz!
crows playing in the wind currents
Early in the day I saw a Juvenile Bald Eagle perched in the tree too far away to get a good photo.  At that time I also saw an Adult Bald Eagle flying about but did not get a good photo.  On the return hike portion from Beaverdam back to Carburn, there were four Bald Eagles, three adults and one juvenile, soaring above.  I was able to get one of the adults as it flew over head.  
It flew to this tree to join up with the other.

After three hours, I was quite content 
with the distance I covered
the nice scenery  I saw
and the bird count I made!  


1 comment:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.