Saturday, January 8, 2022

bone-chilling * frost-biting * breath-taking

Yes, I know I am behind!  I have excuses!  It's not been a great start to the new year and my "Aussie Coastal Bushwalk" Virtual Challenge.  Lots of time was spent inside my home since January 1st.  That time has not been idle time and I will share more on that at a later date.  While our weather has been brutal, the views have been beautiful.  I hit trails close to home, that I could walk to.  The weather did not stop me to a certain "degree" but it stopped my car, full stop!  The time frames that I did spend outside were on the short side to avoid frostbite.  Two days saw me not even opening the front door when windchills remained in the -40'sC for extended periods. So yes, I am behind but with user-friendly weather conditions approaching, it's time to catch up! 



The blue sky and sunshine is deceiving and draws me outside!  It did a few others too, one who cross country skied the winding creek.  We have not had much snow yet this year in the city but what we have is enough to give that winter-wonderland look.  I stuck to the sheltered trails as much as possible to avoid the wind.  Even still, I could feel the wind cut, like a knife!  This is the first time ever I could feel the sting through my long underwear and extreme snow pants.   I move fast these days but still stop, only long enough to capture a few special seconds in time. 


Wth temperatures in the mid-20'sC and windchill in the mid-30'sC for a couple of hours mid day, this was the perfect window of opportunity to get out the door.  It was a deja vu day!  I stuck to the sheltered trails as much as possible to avoid the wind.  Even still, I could feel the wind cut, like a knife! This time I paired my legendary snow pants with long underwear yet I could still feel the sting.  My fast movement startled the white tail deer who jumped from its napping position, but it did not scare the Great Horned Owl who remained napping.  With frost built up on my exposed hair, eye lashes and eye brows and feeling the sting through my pants, it was time to walk back home and get inside to a cup of hot chocolate! 


After a couple of days, it was go time for my vehicle!  Whew!  I ventured a tad south on the Deerfoot Indy 500 which was quiet during these early morning frigid hours.  I would like to visit the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary on a weekly basis this year so this day was this weeks visit.  The place was alive with bird and duck activity.  My first sighting was of three adult Bald Eagles and one Juvenile perched on the tree tops as I rounded the corner by the Lagoon.  I was not camera ready and in a matter of a few seconds they were gone.  The sun was up over the Bow River but there was no added warmth from it.
There were many Black-Capped Chickadees dee-dee-deeing about and hundreds of mallards with a couple other species scattered amongst them. This one male Mallard in particular, I watched for awhile.  It had a difficult time moving on a section of sheer ice and just looked like a sprawled out mess.  Finally he gathered his feathers and feet and waddled to the open water.  Like the past few outings, this one also was on the shorter side and moving fast was necessary.  The end of this Siberian Arctic cold snap is in sight!




1 comment:

  1. "Bitterly beautiful" with magical "touches"!
    Totally different to the actual Virtual challenge route!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.