Sunday, January 9, 2022

Skating The Ice Trail January 9, 2021

It's been eighteen days since my last skate!   That phrase makes me think of what it sounds like to make a confession!  My skates have been waiting at my front door all that time while I waited for a forecast that was user-friendly enough to safely get my skates on with out getting my fingers nipped or bit by frost.  I like early morning skating when it's quiet and the lights are still lit to show the way along The Ice Trail.  
When I woke and saw the forecast was not as nice as promised, I bit the bullet and drove to Bowness anyway figuring I could assess the conditions once I arrived!  I put my skates on in the car then gingerly worked my way to the ice.  

I never get tired of this section!  
I was able to get a few laps in before the lights went off for the day.
As the sun began to rise, a beautiful hue of pink filled the sky which made the ice glow. 
I set the timer on my small camera then sat it on a pylon sitting in the snow.   
I skated away then managed to turn around just as it snapped a shot.  
morning glow on the trees and steam rising from the river
I wasn't stopping for long so did not bother to start a fire.  

It was OK the weather was not as warm as promised first thing in the morning, no one else dared to brave the cold.  The  lights lit on the trees adds to the experience and the solitude of a sunrise skate on a Sunday holds something special.  



 

1 comment:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.