Saturday, January 1, 2022

Inglewood Bird Sanctuary January 1, 2022

Visiting the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary first thing in the morning of a brand new year could become a tradition! That's what I did on January 1, 2021 and that's what I did today.  I debated whether to tackle the sketchy Deerfoot drive and if I wanted to deal with the high windchill.  I went for it and was so happy I did!  For two hours I shared the Sanctuary with only five other people.  I saw beautiful sights and also some birds so I could begin my bird count for this year.

 view just after passing through the gate

my camera is not blurry, that's steam rising from the open water
view from the trail along the Bow River
bundled up to stay warm
When I moved, I moved quickly, when I stopped, it was not for long. There were mounds of snow on some of the fence posts and I brushed off the snow to see three painted rocks.  Everything that could, either had snow on it or frost build up.    
As soon as I entered the Sanctuary, I spotted the Bald Eagle.  To get the photo of the eagle at this angle high in the tree, I swished through a few inches of snow for a few feet.  The Male Mallard Duck, the Male Downy Woodpecker and the Black-Capped Chickadee were easily accessible for photos right from the trail.
With sights like this, I just sigh!  
It makes being "out & about" in -26C worth it.  
Where the ice meets the open water, it looks like delicate intricate lace.
What have we here!  I can identify deer tracks and where wings of a large bird swished over the snow.  I tried to imagine what might have transpired here with all the wildlife markings.    

I competed another course!  

After taking the course, I was ready to set up my profile on eBird and begin keeping track of my sightings for the year.  This is a better approach than the excel spreadsheet I designed and used for 2021. 

Taking the two courses that I did, was a great start to growing as a birder.  I'll look for other ways too that will be beneficial in expanding my interest.  That being said, I am not ready and may never be for a fancy dancy camera nor big binoculars!  


1 comment:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.