Sunday, January 16, 2022

The Weaselhead January 16, 2022

Our sunrises have been gorgeous lately so off I went out the door early with hopes of there being another pretty one this morning!  Just before I began the descent down into The Weaselhead, the dawn of a new day began!  The cheerful colour brings hope!

When I was here in November, the reservoir was wide open water, now it's snow covered ice.
After crossing the bridge, I veered right and did a large loop sticking to the trails that follow the creek and wind through the forest.  At every opportunity, I took detours to get closer to the creek or snow covered ice. There were a few sections of open water beyond the ice, which I stayed away from.  
One of the detours led to a section where someone had cleared the snow off the ice to reveal methane bubbles.  They were in an awkward location which meant I had to become one with the ice to get this shot.  
Can you figure out what is going on in this photo?  I'll tell you!  This is the side of a large piece of ice.  The front is flat and smooth and everything you see if frozen within the ice.  You see bubbles, weeds, plants, a couple of rocks.  If you were to rub your hand across the ice that is all you would feel, a smooth piece of ice.  
After completing a great big loop, I crossed back over the bridge to where I would climb up out of The Weaselhead.  I saw this coyote crossing over the snow covered frozen reservoir.
It crossed over to this coyote curled up in the snow.  
They had a few words!
The one laying down got up and they both walked over to these two coyotes sitting at the edge of the bush.  The one that was previously laying down went over and had a few words and a kiss with one of the two.  All the while...
... a fifth coyote watched over them all!  I wonder who is who in this pack!

The coyotes were the last photos I captured, it was all business now to get up out of The Weaselhead and hike a couple more kilometres back to my car.  





2 comments:

  1. How wonderful to see the methane bubbles and frozen water scene, but observing the coyotes must have been extra special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was enjoyable to watch the coyotes interact and also to see they all looked healthy. I did wonder if it was a family!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.