Monday, August 7, 2023

Crandell Lake Waterton Lakes National Park August 7, 2023

I patiently yet rigorously monitored weather reports, accommodation availability, smoke forecast, until all lined up for the good, to make a trip back to Waterton Lakes National Park.  Jackpot!  Here I am!  On my way here, I gassed up in Pincher Creek for less than what gas costs in  Calgary, had my kayak inspected and tagged by Parks People just outside the entrance gate to the Park, showed my Park Pass at the gate then made my way to the Crandell Lake parking lot off the Red Rock Parkway.

Back at the end of May, I hiked here.  It’s the perfect hike to pass a few hours before the time comes to check into my home away from home.  Heading to the lake from this location is much quieter than starting from the Akamina Parkway. I have done both and I like the Red Rock way the best.

With it being quieter, it means making a little more noise to announce you are in the area.  I did when I got into the trees especially after seeing this bear scat that was maybe a day or two old.

then more bear scat that was a bit older
Into the forest I got!  
The colours were incredible!  
Fireweed lined much of the trail. 
You know, fireweed only grows where once there was a fire.  
 
In addition to loads of pink, there was lots of vibrant green too!
At this point into August, it means it is “Berry Season”.  All the trailheads have signs posted reminding us of this.  Be extra vigilant because the bears are now feasting on the berries to fill up before hibernation time.
It was a hot day with no wind, hardly a breeze neither.  Lots of people were at the lake, many swimming or just sitting in the water.  After I captured my destination shot…..
…..I settled in under a tree and relaxed in the shade.  This was my view as I dined and watched the others frolicking about in the water.  They were all to the right of this photo.
a curious Townsend’s Solitaire stopped by to check me out 
On the way back, I paid more attention to the other colours. 
They appear autumn-like!

As you know, I like to play with perspective!
a female Lazuli Bunting

a nice spot to put my feet up to pass a little time before checking in




4 comments:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.