Monday, August 28, 2023

Wilcox Pass & Ridge, Jasper National Park. August 28, 2023

Before heading on this trip up along The Icefields Parkway, I did some investigative work with a plan to hike to Nigel Pass.  I had been there once many moons ago and thought I would like to give it a go again.  Fast forward to this morning, as I am driving along The Parkway watching for the turnoff sign, I see the sign, I drive right past, in a split second decided I lost my nerve to hike that quiet trail alone so drove a little further to the trailhead for Wilcox Pass & Ridge. Oh dang! This was the sign posted at the trailhead!  I was the first car in the lot which meant I would be the first on the trail this morning.  Maybe Nigel Pass would have been the better choice!  I opted to stay here and hike to Wilcox Ridge, I just knew I needed to be very vigilant and be LOUD!!!

 
I was very vocal until I reached the Red Chairs!  The last few "YOOOOS" were somewhat weak and I felt I was in need of a lozenger to soothe my throat.  All that loud yelling while ascending those few kilometres tuckered me out so this was the perfect place to sit for a bit.  
looking back from a short distance after I continued up the trail
now that's a big snack for such a little fellow
more of that red that I love so much
You know how I like to play with perspective, this is a very tiny tarn just a few feet wide.

the trickle of the creek is the sound of music to my ears

I made it to Wilcox Pass where I stopped for a snack and had to delayer a layer. By now I could see three people off in the distance coming this way.  It was so wide open along the alpine meadow and you could see forever so I did not bother to be loud.  From here I followed the trail up Wilcox Ridge.
Mountain Goats relaxing just off the trail

view along the trail that ascends to the high point of the Ridge
looking back as I get higher
One of the three people arrived while I was here and we exchanged taking turns capturing each others destination shots.  This is how I choose to celebrate being here.  It's being in places like this with views like this that keep me coming back here year after year after year.  It never gets busy while I am here.  Yet it looks crazy busy out at the Athabasca Glacier behind me with bus after bus making its way up that road on the left to the base of the snow.  
While enjoying the view and savouring lunch, the fellow and I chatted it up.  The two people he was with along the trail were a couple he just met.  They were hiking/scrambling up to Wilcox Peak.  We watched them progress.  That's them in the red circle.  Not long after this, I could no longer spot them.  The fellow left soon after and I owned the summit. 
looking back at the view as I carried on down the trail

the view surrounding me while I stood in the middle of the alpine meadow 

view beside me before heading into the trees and descending back to the Red Chairs
When I arrived back to my car, I breathed a sigh being thankfully to have had such a great experience with no bear encounters.  After gearing down, downing loads of water, I then hopped in the car for the thirty minute drive back to my home away from home.   Treat time!  I savoured a mango ice cream on a waffle cone with this as the view. 




2 comments:

  1. A superb day, without bear drama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed recently hikers did encounter the bears at the parking lot.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.