Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Summit Lake Waterton Lakes National Park August 9, 2023

Another day in Waterton, another day hiking to a lake!  Summit Lake was my main destination for today with a few kilometres added on heading off here and there from the Lake.  It was an ideal start to the day with a strong breeze and cool temperature.  As the morning went on, that breeze picked up as did the temperature.  Those conditions still remained ideal.

The switchbacks were more overgrown than prior years when I hiked here.  Once again, lots of hoots and hollers were called for.  It was good to get that overgrown stretch behind me, now views were offered up. That’s Cameron Lake down there with the mountains of Montana at the far end.  
At the top of the switchbacks, you arrive at the plateau section which I enjoy hiking along.
Ah!  Beautiful Summit Lake!  I enjoyed it for an extended period on my own. 
Barrow’s Goldeneye (one of four)
From Summit Lake there is a trail leading down to Boundary Bay at the border between Canada and the United States.  It was too far to hike today but I did hike down for a couple of kms.  The trail is very defined so well used.  It was also very pretty as you can see.  I returned the way I came…..
…..and then headed up the Carthew Trail until a reached a nice high spot with a view.  This view is looking back along the Carthew Trail where now many other hikers were coming along to do the one way Carthew Alderson hike.
This was my high point for today.  It was the perfect location to sit awhile and just be.
After spending awhile at that high spot, I then headed back to Summit Lake and then back to the plateau stretch.  There were loads of birds which made for a slow go now.  This is a Pine Siskin with a snack.  
view along the plateau 
Dark Eyed Junco
view along the plateau 
pattern in burned tree 
along the plateau 
By the time I made it back to the townsite, the wind was wild.  I was glad to be back and not high up on a peak or ridge.  The wind continued to get stronger, rain came and went, then the sky cleared.  It was time to head out for today’s treat, a Salted Carmel scoop of ice cream on a butterscotch waffle cone!





2 comments:

  1. The ice cream looks like a wonderful reward for your hike! It looks like lots of wildflowers at most places along the trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was prime fireweed season, but prime wildflower season was a few weeks ago.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.