Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Forum Lake & Wall Lake Waterton Lakes National Park August 8, 2023

NOTE: I like to reply to your comments pretty quick, but I still have not figured out how to do it from my iPad!  I will reply when I have access to my computer. 

An early morning visit to Cameron Lake before hiking afforded me this perfect reflection.  People were suiting up and blowing up to hit the water on paddle boards and kayaks. They knew it was best to get it done early as those Waterton winds were forecasted to whip up later.


Comfort came when I was nicely spaced in a sandwich between a family and a couple while leaving from the parking lot and ascending the trail. I did not bother to hoot and holler to announce I was in the area.  For the couple of kilometres to the British Columbia border, I admired and photographed the pretty pink fireweed, little did I know what I saw along here was nothing!

at the border 

When I reached the intersection for Forum Lake or Wall Lake, the family had stopped for a break and the couple behind me were no where to be seen. I veered left and began the climb knowing I would now need to be loud, so I was.  First things first, stop at the outhouse then pass by the Warden Cabin.
view from inside the outhouse
American Robin with a very flexible neck 
Yellow-Rumped Warbler showing me his rump 
I have never been as noisy as I was along the route to Forum Lake.  When I arrived, I settled in the wide open and paid close attention to my surroundings.  It was so beautiful and peaceful here.  After getting my destination shot and having some snacks…..
…..I played a little!  After about 45 minutes, the family arrived.  On my descent back to the intersection, I me a couple dozen people heading up.  This brought some comfort.  
arriving at the Akamina Creek Backcountry Campground 
this way to Wall Lake
It was along this trail that the amount of fireweed was mind boggling.  
In some places it was up to my shoulders 
and in other places it lined very closely to the trail, almost hugging me.
Hiking along this trail, I met a few other hikers already coming out.  It was business first when I arrived at Wall Lake, capturing my destination shot.  Heat, beauty, no bugs, no wind, these were the conditions.
at the far side of Wall Lake where I took a little time for more snacks

short video showing all the pink

On the way back, I stooped for more snacks at the Akamina Creek Backcountry Campground.
This was the view with about one kilometre left before reaching my car.
Before calling it a day, I went for an early evening treat!



4 comments:

  1. The Forum Lake is the perfect place to take a break and to relax while looking at the beautiful landscape. Silence is priceless!!!
    And yes, that treat is the perfect end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the silence at these places and to have that, you need to get there early as it can get busy later on.

      Delete
  2. Another awesome day. That fireweed is amazing. Fireweed here is small and yellow, and is listed as a noxious weed. I doubt it is the same family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder does the fireweed you have grow only when there has been a fire?

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.