Sunday, August 20, 2023

here & there : this & that : those mid-August days

wandering 

This day was to be a scorcher.  After being away in Waterton for a few days, I wanted to stick close to home to accomplish some routine stuff.  I also wanted to get back up to Nose Hill for a couple of hours then get home before that heat hit.  It was scorching already shortly after sunrise.  I like the early morning lighting on the hill section.
We spotted each other around the same time when I went to the edge for a glance to the little valley below me.  The fawn looked at me as if to say what are you?  It then hightailed it off into the woods right behind Mom.  It's early mornings when it is quiet and before it gets hot when wildlife are out & about.
This young coyote was also out & about doing its thing before settling in the shade for the balance of the day.  We looked at each other, I was happy to see it appeared very healthy.  It then headed towards the bushes out of sight. I carried on wandering up and down the hills. 
This is a Horned Lark!  When I spotted it, I knew I was seeing something I never saw before so I call this a "lifer" for me.  I was able to get very, very close but that was not intentional.  I wondered if it felt it was camouflaged with the ground and in its mind was out of sight.  When I got home, I used my Merlin app to make the identification.  



birding

The beauties on this day were not of the far off kind.  The wildfire smoke made for a hazy day.  I still went out knowing for a couple of hours, I would be enjoying what was right before my eyes.  I found many beauties at Carburn Park.  Just short of 100 photos later, I was ready to head on home.  Here are a few of my favourites!  

Twins!  The fawns were watching something while I was watching them.
a Robin with a treat 
a juvenile male Yellow Warbler 
Belted Kingfisher
 Copper’s Hawk


kayaking

When the sun has this look in the early morning, it tells me one thing even though I cannot smell it, wildfire smoke is in the air!  It was forecasted to be the hottest day this year so I ventured out to kayak at Bowness for a couple of hours before the heat hit.  There was a slight breeze as you can tell by the look of the lagoon.  I paddled around here then headed off to the canals where it was sheltered and calm.

along the canal
along the canal off the lagoon

paddling away from the canal towards the lagoon

As the morning went on, the breeze then the wind brought in more wildfire smoke. On the drive home after my kayak outing, I could not see very far west, I know the mountains are out there but they were no where to be seen.  Not only did more wildfire smoke come into the city, so did the beginnings of thousands of wildfire evacuees who frantically drove the 1000 kms south from the North West Territories. They also arrived by the plane loads to the safety of our city.  That's the story of the NWT evacuees, those escaping the wildfires in the Kelowna area of British Columbia is another story!  It's hard not to feel on edge and feel anxiety from what is happening!  



birding

It was cold enough this morning that I donned a fleece jacket and gloves for my visit to the Bird Sanctuary.  The view upon arrival at the lagoon was spectacular.  For the first little while I paid more attention to the scenery than I did to the ducks and birds. In fact, I heard no birds, they were probably still huddled to keep warm against the surprisingly cold morning.  It was not until a bit later when they began their day.    
This beaver was busy biting on the piece of wood.  
The ruckus created by a group of young Wood Ducks was loud enough that I ventured in their direction to see what the hoopla was all about. That's when I spotted this mink running along the shore, back and forth, trying to escape the wood ducks as they swan along side it.
a curious fawn
this male Wood Duck had lots to say
the Yellow Warbler is the same shade as some of the leaves that are changing colour
Olive-sided Flycatcher
Male Downy Woodpecker
Merlin






4 comments:

  1. What beautiful creatures you got to spy on your early morning rambles. I'm particularly envious of your cute fawn sightings. I have been reading of the evacuations. Just so frightening and horrendous for everyone. The firefighters must be totally exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happily surprised to have seen so many fawns this season. The evacuations continue with so many people also on standby!

      Delete
  2. How many beautiful critters you meet during your walks.
    It's always a pleasure to see them especially if they are friendly and not afraid.
    In Italy there are a lot of wildfires in this period. One in my city too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to go early to see some of the wildlife I see and mostly they are more afraid of me. This has been quite the summer with wild weather everywhere!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.