Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Peyto & Bow Lakes, Banff National Park August 29, 2023

 The last time I was actually at Peyto Lake was when I skated on it back in November of last year!


The last time I actually hiked the trail to the platform to view Petyo Lake was February of last year. 

Today, I hiked the trail to the Peyto Lake viewing platform to see the sunrise.  It was absolutely freezing cold and if there was any moisture at all, it would have been snow!  This is what the kiosk looked like today, I captured this photo upon my return to the car.  

I was a little late in arriving to see the actual sun come up but I was early enough to watch the sun rise creating alpenglow on the mountains overlooking Peyto Lake. Like I said it was freezing cold, I have three layers underneath the down vest and yet it was not warm enough.  It was well worth it though, when this was the golden award winning view!  
It was so peaceful, so calm and such a sight to see the alpenglow and the reflection in the lake.  


After being at Peyto Lake for an hour or so to watch the sun rise higher and higher, I then headed down the Icefield Parkway to stop in at Bow Lake and witness more beauty.  Is was still just as cold, still just as peaceful and still just as calm.  This is Crowfoot Mountain reflecting in Bow Lake. 
being one with the scenery as much as I can while keeping my feet dry
another beautiful reflection that I captured before crossing the bridge

a view of all the mountains reflecting in Bow Lake

the line of rock breaks up the reflection


I went for a short hike along the edge of Bow Lake.  This trail leads to a couple of hikes but I only wanted easy walks today.  This photo is deceiving, and I did not realize what it looked like until I downloaded it and saw it larger.  Bow Lake looks small in this photo but it is gigantic. The reflection gives that deceiving look. 
After reaching the far end of the lake, I then turned around and came back the same way.  By now the cooks were cooking in the Lodge and I could smell the makings of cinnamon buns.  My hope was to purchase one but the cafe was not open yet and anyway I believe the buns are part of the breakfast for the people staying there.

Both Bow Lake and Peyto Lake are so beautiful.  I am not sure which season I like better up in this area.  Winter sure grabs my attention and offers something so unreal.  I guess I need to consider myself fortunate in that I can experience the Icefield Parkway in any season I want and come away with four different types of adventures! 


6 comments:

  1. I've never seen reflections as beautiful as those. Maybe that is the magic of the mountain, an almost unknown world for me.
    Enjoy your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is magic in the mountains if you are open to seeing it! It's right before your eyes!

      Delete
  2. You most certainly are very fortunate but you don't take it for granted and you share the sensational beauty via your camera lens. These reflections are exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Helen! As the morning progressed, the winds picked up so I was thankful to be there early to enjoy the reflections.

      Delete
  3. After several days with temperatures in the 90's here in Minnesota, it was refreshing to see the snow pictures and to look back at the "hiked the trail to the platform" (one of the best posts ever!).

    Lar in MN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be able to bring you a refreshing feeling! Being in the 90's at this time of year just sounds so hot to me!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.