Friday, May 19, 2023

Forgetmenot Pond & Little Elbow Trail May 19, 2023

Having the ability to be flexible and spontaneous these days is a good thing!  Conditions have been changing by the day and by the hour and that is the forecast for the foreseeable future.  When I did not have a good feeling about what was to transpire, I cancelled my four day plan for earlier this week in time to get my money back.  With time on my side now, another plan was put in place to share sister time at Forgetmenot Pond.  Waking Tuesday morning all seemed good but within an hour, the air quality rating went from a 4 to 10+ then eventually 11.  The wind shifted direction and speed.  Smoke from the one hundred or so wildfires in central and northern Alberta blew into Calgary.  Calgary made the news that day, the city had the worst air quality on earth.  We cancelled our plan and put another plan in place, to visit inside, and that plan came to fruition.  

Fast forward to today!  I woke to see a window of opportunity was opening where the air quality would be low for a few hours and there was potential for blue in the sky.  In no time at all, I packed up and hit the highway for a visit to Forgetmenot Pond. The gate to the road that leads there opens every year on May 15th and I always like to get out there shortly thereafter.  As I drove west, then south, then west again,  I could see blue in the direction I was heading. 

view along Route 66
view as I turned south off Route 66 
When I pulled into the parking lot for Forgetmenot Pond, I saw three wild mustang horses.  I waited in my car while they snacked and then worked their way into the trees. These are two of the horses and I believe the one in the back could be pregnant.
As I walked the trail down to the pond, I could see the horses in the trees and eventually they came out onto the path and followed the trail back into the trees further away.  This was the third horse, it went to the edge of the water.  

sipping and snacking
It was such a beautiful sight to see these horses.  

I was so thankful for the calm conditions.  There was blue in the sky yet there was a bit of haze from smoke.  The pond was clear of ice and snow as were all the trails in the area.  The trails were dry and the area seemed parched.  A full fire ban is in place for the entire province.  

After spending time at Forgetmenot Pond, I followed the Little Elbow Trail to the pink suspension bridge to connect with the trails on the other side of the Elbow River.  

looking back after crossing the bridge
For this time of year for these trails to be clear of all ice and snow and to be completely dry is usual.  The forest was full of bird songs.  In this area is was mostly the Canada Jays (Whisky Jack) that were singing out warnings.  This is an adult Canada Jay.
This was my first time for seeing a Juvenile Canada Jay.
A couple of hours later, the wind began to pick up and the temperature rose dramatically.  
I still enjoyed the blue sky and the lack of smoke smell.  
view from the river's edge

When I arrived back at Forgetmenot Pond, the wind was creating ripples in the water.  The mountain views were becoming hazier and it was sweltering.  I did take time to sit at my favourite picnic site and savour snacks and gulps of water.  On the drive home, the views to the far west were not existent.  That window of opportunity was closing. 




2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you have been dealing with wildfire smoke. We seem to get it every summer now here in the PNW. Glad you got one clear day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Albertans are grateful to have some of your firefighters from Oregon come here to help fight the fires! The same here, the wildfires have become an annual thing, May is just so early for them to start.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.