Sunday, May 28, 2023

Waterton Lakes National Park - Crandell Lake - May 28, 2023

With a few days of no plans facing me, I needed something to look forward to.  The weather looked ideal, there was vacancy, I packed my bags, filled the tank and landed in Waterton.  The Red Rock Parkway is now open to vehicle travel for the season so I veered off there and aimed for the new trailhead parking lot for Crandell Lake.   This is the first summer of accessing this hike from this location since the Kenow Fire of 2017.  The campground and backcountry campground remained closed.


early view from the new section of trail 


I like the hair-doo on this Grouse!

The wildflowers were in abundance and I was not expecting it to be this way this early in the season.  A local lady told me the area thrives more and more each year since that fire.

along the trail 
view along the trail 


There were so many Paintbrushes…
…looking so vibrant and healthy!

at Crandell Lake 

When I arrived at Crandell Lake, there were two people at the picnic table. I prefer to climb up onto the white boulders to have lunch.  
my lunch time view

There were numerous species of wildflowers.  
These are a few more.






With time on my side after this hike, I also spent time along the Bellevue Trail, hiked the Cameron Lakeshore Trail and wandered around Waterton Townsite and along Waterton Lake.  



4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's been so hot the entire month of May, that helped melt it.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous pics of the wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prime time for the wildflowers is early this year!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.