Tuesday, May 23, 2023

North Coast 500 Virtual Challenge COMPLETE May 23, 2023

What does it take for me to learn a lesson!  With a few of the previous virtual challenges I signed up for, I discovered the longer distances are not for me.  Yet, I signed up for the 806 km North Coast 500!  I was all gung-ho for the first half or so and then my interest wained.  I still posted my daily distances covered but passed on learning about where I was virtually and never did get back into that.  Over the past couple of weeks when the end was in sight, I felt motivated to get out there and get this done.  The challenge now was getting it done in unusually high heat for May and being in the midst of wildfire smoke that reached a level like never before in this area.  In fact on two separate days, we had the worst air quality on the planet.  I confess, two days I resorted to mall walking.  Right now we are back to beautiful blue skies. While "out & about" today, I thought this is not something to take for granted.    

Under a beautiful sky, a perfect temperature, a slight breeze, pretty views, 
today I covered just over 15kms to cross the finish line of the North Coast 500!  

I reached the end 26 days ahead of my planned finish date.  The red marker is my pacer.  



These are the postcards that came into my mailbox and this is where my interest fell by the way side and I only read the card plus the story that came with it but did not get into learning more.  







This is the last post card that came once I crossed the finish line.  

This excerpt is the last paragraph of the story that came with the card.  "I finished my journey near Ness Bridge on the opposite side of the river from where I began having completed 500mi (805km) around the north-western Highlands. The North Coast 500 was a combination of hair raising experiences on single track roads, splendid panoramic views, castles rich in history and numerous lochs, sheer cliffs, mountains and pristine beaches." 

This photo of where I finished is from google maps.  


Finishing the North Coast  500 brings me to completing 11 virtual challenges since I started my first one on January 4th of 2021. Many, many more new challenges have been created over the past couple of years.  There are numerous shorter ones and now its time to peruse those and put a plan in place.  Stay Tuned!



6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You finished despite heat and poor air quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! I let out a big "Whew" when I finished!

      Delete
  2. Hi Alexandra,

    What a delight to see this post and discover that you are doing the Conqueror Virtual Challenges! I am a fellow Challenger! 😊 I think I may have started about the same time you did, back in 2021. My very first Challenge, the Pacific Crest Trail, turned out to be a mistake for me for two reasons: 1. It was way too long and 2. Somehow, when originally setting up the walk, I did not get my Garmin device to log all my daily steps, but just the steps that I designated a “tracking” activity. So that one is still underway … LOL … I think I may have done about 25%. In the meantime, I’ve completed several shorter hikes. Currently I am doing the Te Araroa in New Zealand: “Te Araroa (a Māori term which translates as 'the long path') is a walking trail from Cape Reinga, close to the northernmost tip of the North Island, to Bluff, close to the southernmost point of the South Island. The full length of Te Araroa is made up of a series of old and new tracks, walkways, and roadside links strung together. Hikers, or trampers as they are known in New Zealand, can take between 3-6 months to thru-hike (completing the journey in one go) or take a more segmented approach by completing it in parts.” That quote is from my first postcard on this trail. I’ve now completed about 40%. Your blog post inspires me to do something similar on John’s Island. Thank you for sharing your blog … it is a pleasure following you.

    John
    PS Thank you for your kind comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know I have a fellow Conqueror following my blog! I often wonder when I am out & about if any of the people I see on the trails are also Conquerors. When I saw the PCT challenge, my initial thought was I would love to do that one but then came to senses and went for the shorter distances. I did get to actual hike very, very small portions of the PCT in Nov of 2014, Feb of 2016 and Jan of 2018. I enjoy documenting my virtual challenges, I often look back at them. I look forward to seeing what you share on John's Island as you keep on conquering sections of the PCT and Te Araroa!

      Delete
  3. So glad you found your motivation to complete this challenge with all its 'hair raising' experiences. Jill Homer cycled something similar in February. The route they took was no walk [cycle] in the park!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found Jill's subtract site and saved it, will check into it another day.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.