Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Painting Projects

Sketching and painting still fill a few hours each week, yet most recently it fills a few minutes each day.  My attention has been geared towards nature journaling.  I shared a few notes about the sketchbook I purchased in a previous post. After getting my nerve up, I am now filling the pages with projects, but I am using my photos as references and painting at home.  What I am still hesitant about is laying shades on the pages creating the scene I see in front of me while actually out in nature.  That will come one day!     


Nature Journaling

One of the nature journal projects was to paint a visual story about a hike I did while visiting Joshua Tree National Park in California.  The first painting is from a tutorial and the following two small ones are from photos I took along the trail.  The painting from the tutorial could actually be from one of my photos.  



After returning from last week's trip, I created a nature journal two page spread showing the route I took and some of the locations along the way.  I added some other tidbits of information and a few little paintings.  


May Challenge

It was time to get going on another painting challenge!   This is what it looks like so far.  The idea is to paint a picture a day spending no more than 30 minutes to complete it.  The picture needs to be something related to nature that I saw while out & about.  Each square measures 1 1/2 inches.  I failed miserably on May 5th, after returning from my get-away, I accomplished nothing related to being out in nature.  I did savour a beer on my deck though.  On May 9th, I settled for painting a squirrel I saw on the tree out my front window.  Stay Tuned!  I will post a picture of the finished project at the end of May 31st.


Still Learning

It's a strawberry ice cream in a waffle cone!  This painting was rendered from a tutorial.  It taught about layering paint starting with a very light wash then adding darker levels to show shadows and to give depth & dimension & detail.  Part way through, I considered ripping the page out of the book and starting over, but remembered many times a project gets to a point where it looks like a hot mess, but just forge on and that is what I did.  This does look delicious!  Savouring something like this in the coming days may be necessary to help keep cool if the weather transpires as forecasted. 



 

4 comments:

  1. That's wonderful to journal in drawings! I wish I was a more talented and could do that too. I guess that's why I take photographs instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never stop taking photographs! Now I find I am taking more as I look for scenes or objects to draw & paint and then taking photos at various angles. Your photographs are amazing!

      Delete
  2. Your impressive talent continues to evolve. Yes, it was worth forging on with the ice cream and I am amazed by your daily calendar entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen! I found the idea of daily calendar entries on a painting sight I belong to, I was captivated and needed to give it a go.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.