Wednesday, May 3, 2023

My cabin in the woods retreat! Fish Lake May 3, 2023

Fish Lake Provincial Recreation Area was my go to place this morning.  There is a very nice day use area where I could have a picnic after hiking around the lake.  It was to be another scorcher of a day for early May so I looked forward to being around ice and snow.  It was a cool start but did warm up quickly and at times I could hear the ice thawing. Before hitting the trail, I took a seat on the dock.
view towards the mountains from very early along the trail 
ice creations 
the water was so crystal clear 
further along the trail just before the cook house then the bridge 
the trail followed very close to the shore of Fish Lake
Incredible colour!  It was from around this location that I heard the call of a loon. When I zoomed in with my camera lens, I could see dark movement on the water in the far distance, I was excited to hurry up and get there.
This is what I saw when I got there! At the far end was more open water and that is where the ducks were hanging out.  Seeing looms is a such a special thing.  I watched them for a long while. 
I also watched this group of Buffleheads. They looked so cute with their little round heads reflecting in the water.  They stuck very close together the entire time.  
I made my way around the backside side of the lake where it was a little rough in spots but still doable. I came upon a bike park off to the side, canoes and kayaks belonging to Frontier Lodge which was up on the hill and then the campground.  I am thinking come the May along Weekend, the sites along the Lake will be grabbed up.  
the chunk of ice looks like a large crystal 
When I completed the hike around Fish Lake, it was time for some snacks and a cold drink. While relaxing this Robin came by for a visit. It looked a little odd with the white colouring. It is a leucistic (part albino) Robin.

Time passed and I was ready to begin again, begin a hike around another Lake.


 

2 comments:

  1. How lovely to be close to the ice and water for most of this hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was much appreciated on a day that turned to being +26C. That is hot for here in early May!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.