Thursday, May 4, 2023

My cabin in the woods retreat! May 4, 2023

After a ten minute stroll through the trees along the path from my cabin, you arrive at the open meadow where a wood bench sits at the end. This is the view from the bench.  It was a favourite place of my mine to go first thing in the morning before heading out for the day and at the end of the day when I arrived back from exploring.  This spot was like its own little retreat location.  I watched the clouds built, we were under an "extreme weather watch" for damaging winds, rain and lightning.  Thank goodness that never did transpire.  

Early in the afternoon of the second day at my cabin in the woods, a Fire Ban was put in place. I noticed it posted in the town and also on the road leading to my home away from home.  I checked in with the owners of my cabin to say I noticed the signs and to confirm I could still have a fire in the wood stove inside my cabin.  

Temperatures reached mid to high 20's C each day which is so very unusual for early May.  I got to enjoy shade on my veranda, my picnic table was surrounded by trees which provided shade, and my cabin had many windows and overhead fans to provide cool air.  I was able to get it cool enough inside where a fire in the wood stove was quite enjoyable.  


wood was provided each morning in the bin on my veranda

The David Thompson Highway was so very quiet as I began the drive home.  It was only me on the highway heading towards Saskatchewan River Crossing.  I was thankful the sky was clear and no smoke from the forest fires had drifted this way.   This was a view from what appeared to be a new trail head location called Bighorn Country.  
This is where the trail lead to.  It looked inviting but I would not venture up there on my own.  At this time of year in this area, it has a very remote feeling.  For the entire visit, I was extra vigilant.  

view of the mountains in front of me

approaching the Banff National Park Boundary at Saskatchewan River Crossing
My first stop after turning east onto the Icefield Parkway was Bow Lake.  The Parkway is still in winter mode with campgrounds closed and most view points still off limits due to avalanche conditions.  The road and parking lot at Bow Lake were clear of snow and a short path was cleared to the trees.  From there on it was knee deep for me snow. 
I post-holed to the bridge and crossed over to the other side.  Fortunately, the snow here was supportive and I was able to scoot out a short distance.  

A very short walk along the shore was doable. That is all ice out there except for about a foot of open water just at my feet.  I love this look of Crowfoot Mountain reflecting in the ice and water.   

It was time to leave Bow Lake and make my way to Lake Louise to gas up then continue on home.  No one else was heading in my direction but the oncoming traffic was significant.  The Icefield Parkway is so beautiful at this time of year and people want to experience it.  

As I got close to Banff, low speed limit signs were posted along with Controlled Burn signs.  It felt erie and gave me goosebumps!  The smoky, burning trees were just off the highway and throughout the forest.  All kinds of teams were patrolling the area. This controlled burn is necessary right now to protect the townsite of Banff and surrounding area.  

This was the route I drove for my cabin in the woods retreat.   

With all the exploring I did along the David Thompson Highway, I came to the realization there is so much to do here.  It is beautiful, and it feels a little more wild than most other recreational areas.  I will keep this area in mind to visit at another time of year.




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for again sharing the beauty of Bow Lake.
    A marvellous getaway. I hope the summer doesn't become fraught with wildfires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful for this get-away! The day after I left to come home, the wildfires were getting too close for comfort in the area. Unfortunately the wildfire season has started in central and northern Alberta. This has never happened this soon in the season before. With no moisture, with high winds, with temperatures in the mid to high 20sC for days on end and due to careless people, there are now more than 100 wildfires. Some of the evacuees will begin arriving in Calgary today.

      Delete
  2. This is heartbreaking to read. Your winter seemed to go on for so long.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.