Thursday, May 25, 2023

Ring of Kerry Virtual Challenge Progress Report May 25, 2023

From Northern Scotland, across the Irish Sea, to Southern Ireland, I am now ready to hit the trail to virtually visit the Ring of Kerry.  After a day off from completing the North Coast 500, I signed up to join the close to one hundred thousand conquerors who have either completed or are currently along the 200 km (124 miles) route officially called the Ring of Kerry Virtual Challenge.   This distance is a perfect amount for me to cover by the end of the first week in July.  



This circle trek starts and finishes in Killarney

This is an older challenge that offers postcards, street views and a gorgeous medal upon completion.  This time I opted to plant trees over removing plastic bottles from the oceans as you can see in the above map. I was surprised when I received my race bid, seeing how many conquerors around the world have already signed up. For now I am seeing just me on the route, but as the days go on, I will switch over to see who I am sharing the route with.

This photo at Cameron Lake in Waterton Lakes National Park, taken in March, is my marker.

Once signing up for the challenge, 
a postcard popped into my mailbox showing a location five klicks along the way.  

After entering the actual distance I covered today, this was the virtual view I had from Pallas of Muckross Lake and looking out towards Lough Leane.  This location is in Killarney National Park.

Actually, I spent a couple of hours wandering up on Nose Hill, filling my lungs with fresh air and admiring the bright blue sky plus vibrant green ground cover.  That one night where rain fell for awhile worked wonders.  While the wildfires north of here still rage, the possibility smoke will return remains.  

Stay Tuned for Progress Reports!




2 comments:

  1. You will enjoy this one! Hopefully without smoke filled days. The rain certainly brought clear skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smoke comes and goes to the moderate level but that is very manageable.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.