Thursday, September 7, 2023

Elbow Pass & Desolation Flat September 7, 2023

in search of a dose of tonic from the wildlands
it's a whole different world back there

Not long after waking this morning, I checked both the weather forecast and the fire/smoke forecast! When I saw both were at their best, I put a plan in place.  Ninety minutes later, I hopped in my car for the ninety minute drive to a trailhead where I could hike into The Wildlands.  I hiked in this area numerous times and I keep going back because there is something about this location that makes me feel like, well like, like, well, I can't put it into words!  

after a short steep attack, I arrived at Elbow Lake  
It was cold enough that I donned a down jacket and gloves.  The steam rose from the lake creating that erie feeling which was captivating. There was no one here, not a breeze, I stood and listened to the sound of silence.
calm gives way to reflections
seeing six Female Harlequin Ducks was such a sight
After spending a little time at Eblow Lake, then hiking around it to the far end, I spotted the bridge I needed to cross that would give way to enter into The Wildlands where it is a whole different world.  

Once I crossed that bridge and veered left onto the trail, I was now hiking in The Wildlands. The autumn colours were music to my soul as were the blue sky and fresh crisp clean mountain air.  I breathed in the air and the scenery too. How does one breathe in scenery, you know, just "Remember to Breathe"!

I knew once I hiked through this section where the trail was narrower and felt darker, 
it would then open up to where I could see forever!
It was here where I took time to scout out the surroundings making sure the coast was clear to head deeper into The Wildlands.  I spotted something that did not fit in with all the other white rocks and boulders, this was about the same size but was dark and was moving.  I zoomed in to spot a black bear feasting.  I watched it for quite some time, it was a beautiful looking black bear, plump in size and had a very shiny coat.  
This time of year they are ferociously feasting to fill up before hibernating for the winter.  Eventually it began to make its way down slope.  I zoomed in further to capture this photo.  I still felt safe as there was the slope, a bit of forest and a creek between us.  It then began to feast again and I moved on. It's a whole different world out here in The Wildlands!
When I arrived at this location, it was time to get a selfie in front of Tombstone Mountain.  That name alone gives this area a certain kind of vibe!  It was time to do more scouting, all appeared clear to carry on.    

Sitting on a rock was a Varied Thrush!  I love how its colouring is autumn shades!
When I came upon the cairn marking the turn off for Edworthy Falls, I took the turn. This photo was taken as I stood near the top of the trail.  It was a sketchy scramble down, holding onto rocks, sliding a bit on my rear,  and holding roots of trees, to get to the base of the falls.....

.....I made it!
11 seconds of a thunderous soothing sound

heading deeper into The Wildlands
I made this my turn around point.  
On the way back, I veered off trail to explore a ridge.  While up here, I scouted out the area continuously.  From what I could see it appeared clear so I carried on along the ridge all the while being vigilant.  It's a whole different world up here and it affords views from a different angle.  That's Tombstone Mountain again.
hiking along the ridge
360 degrees showing the beauty of The Wildlands
After covering a good distance along the ridge, I returned the way I came and eventually arrived back at the trail.  This shows the creek for the whole stretch along side the trail.  While hiking back, I began to meet others who were heading off to get their own fill of The Wildlands tonic.  
a last glance back at the wide open wilderness
I left The Wildlands behind and arrived back to where the creek meets Elbow Lake.  

As I hiked around Elbow Lake and down the trail to the parking lot, I experienced that feeling of happiness and healthiness that over takes you when you become full of that tonic received while being in the mountains and The Wildlands!   


4 comments:

  1. How wonderful to spy the bear and watch from a safe distance! I would love a dose of your special 'tonic'! Thankfully, a lesser brand is avaiable here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say your ocean vista type "tonic" is pretty sweet too!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful hike! I love your first photo. Thanks for sharing your pics and story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the autumn colours in that first photo that grab my attention!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.