Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Mustang Hills & Forgetmenot Area September 26, 2023

A snap decision this morning found me heading out to the Elbow Valley area in Kananaskis to chase colours!  An hour drive each way was all I was up for and I knew I could find what I was looking for out that way.  It was a gorgeous, bright, cheerful, colourful drive along Route 66.  It was me, the beauty, the road and the cows so it was a slow drive.  The first thing I did was stop by Forgetmenot Pond to enjoy my morning beverage. 


There are a few short trails that lead off in different directions from the Pond so I meandered down a few of them.  This trail lead to where I could get a great view of Powderface Ridge.  I've been up there many times.
This faint trail followed along the Elbow River which is running very low.
This trail heads towards the pink bridge that crosses over an offshoot of the Elbow River.
When I meandered off the trail and explored behind some little hills, this is what I saw.  Mustangs!  This Mother and Child wild horse pair were heading to where they could grab some breakfast.  The whole while, the youngster stayed by its Mother's side.  It was a precious sight to see!
It was time to head back to The Pond to where my car was.  The lighting remained pretty and offered up this reflection of Powderface Ridge.  I enjoyed seeing the splattering of autumn shades.  After circumnavigating the entire Pond, I arrived back at my car ready to head on back along Route 66 for my next destination. 



🐴Mustang Hills🐴

Just a mere matter of a few minutes along the road is where the trail head for Mustang Hills is located.  While I saw lots of their business in the area throughout the hike, I saw no Mustangs, only the ones back at The Pond.  These Hills would gave me three little summits, loads of wide open vistas and splashes of those autumn hues I hoped to see.  After crossing the road from the parking lot, this was the view as I began ascending the Hills.

This was the first wide open view shortly after starting the hike.  Forgetmenot area is on the backside of those mountains on the left.  You can barely see Route 66 winding through the trees middle bottom right.  
These are the colours I came searching for.  You can see the area where I was about twenty minutes ago, its that wide open section in the middle.  

This is near one of the little hill summits.  It was a good spot to sit awhile and savour the scenery and snacks.  The wind was chilly with foothills air, it was so fresh and fulfilling.   

While milling about on another little hill summit, I found this heart shaped rock.  While it looks gigantic in this photo, it measured about three inches by three inches. I was already loving today and I loved it even more as the minutes passed and I hiked a little more.  

a close up view of speckles and splashes of autumn shades

On one of the little hill summits, I took this video showing the view around me.

being one with the autumn colours
As I rounded the corner, this Spruce Grouse greeted me.  It stood its ground while I captured photos, getting closer and closer to it as I snapped. Then it wiggled its tail feathers and flew off into the tree.  


This is a Golden-Crowned Kinglet. Its crown appears more yellow than orange which tells me it is a female.  It was one of many that were foraging in this forest.  

last of the summer flowers




12 comments:

  1. Beautiful fall colors and wildlife sightings! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect day enjoying nature and wildlife. I love to meet the animals when I run through the country.
    However I am sad because the first Sunday of September began the hunting season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would certainly be a joy to see the animals when you run in the country! We are in hunting season now here. Hunters and hikers coexist in some of the same areas outside the provincial and national parks, extra precautions need to be taken in those locations.

      Delete
  3. Your posts are simply always delightful. Fall colors fascinate me and you have some wonderful captures. Love the short videos too! Thank you, as always, for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for your comment! The fall colours seem to be changing quickly this season so I am trying to get out there as much as possible because they fascinate me too.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous mountain scenery. I really like the video of you sitting by Forgetmenot Pond (those reflections!). Must have been incredible to come across the wild mustangs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was out in this area back in May and just reread my post. I said it looked like one of the horses was pregnant. I checked the markings and this would be her and sure enough her baby.

      Delete
  5. Just found your blog. What a fabulous post with incredible countryside. I’ll be back for more soon. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I just found your blog by you finding my blog! Thank you for stopping by for a visit and for leaving your comment. And I will be back to visit your blog!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.