Friday, September 22, 2023

good-bye summer

It feels like yesterday I said "Hello September", now I'm saying "Good-Bye Summer"! With it still being summer, I have been seeking out autumn! There have been teasing peeks of it.  I wonder how strong the colours will be this year?  I wonder does it matter how hot it has been and how little moisture we have had, will those scenarios make a difference.  We are still in a draught here in the city with water use restrictions still in place.

Since returning from Victoria last Sunday, I have been slow to be "out & about" but I did get "out & about".  On this day I hiked through Pearce Estates and along the Bow River with the intention of checking in on the Siberian Larch Trees.  The views were pretty as I entered the Park, some seasonal shades were scattered here and there. 
It took me a little time to find the Siberian Larch Trees and I blame that on the fact they are still green, as you can see on the left.  If they were at prime time, they would vibrantly stand out instead of blend in. The Siberians do change later than the Tamarack & Larix both of which are found in my mountain playground.

It was too early to find lovely autumn hues in this park, so I shifted focus and played bird nerd.  
The Black-Capped Chickadees with de-de-deing about in large numbers. 
This appeared to be a juvenile Robin, being as curious as can be!
This is a Female Belted Kingfisher, and I say female because of the red. 

**********

There were no autumn shades to be seen at the Bird Sanctuary on this day, yet there was an autumn feel in the air!  My gloves and fleece were necessary to stay comfortable for the early part of the visit.  My timing was perfect to catch the rays from the sun shining through the trees!  It didn't last long.  As the sun rose higher...

...the fog over the lagoon began to disappear!
starting off the day with a bath
Red Tailed Hawk
Great Blue Heron

**********

Someone posted photos of sweet shades up on Nose Hill so I knew what I was in for when I went for a hike up there on this day.  I picked areas where I knew the trees were plentiful with narrow winding trails through them.  This was one of the most colourful locations so I entered!
Another colourful location so I entered!
What are you still doing here little bird?  This is a Yellow-Rumped Warbler.  There were a half dozen or so of them busily feasting.  I was surprised to see them as I thought they would already have migrated south.  Then again they could be from further north and stopped in on Nose Hill to dine before continuing on south.

A Merlin framed by autumn shades!
This coyote did not even see me when it popped out of the bushes.  I watched it for a few seconds and then when it turned its head and saw me, it was gone like a flash.  It ran and ran and ran and ran away from me which is what it is supposed to do. 

**********

I began this water-colour painting a few days ago and finished it today.  No references were used for this one other than a vision I had in my head.  I wanted something autumnish, something woodsy, something inviting, something showing a place where I would love to be.  While I enjoyed first drawing this then painting it, I am not quite content with the final outcome.  I do like the colours and the idea, I did have problems with perspective which only began to show when it came time to paint the cabin which was the last thing I painted other than a few tiny details. All that being said, I do think I would enjoy walking down that walkway, opening the front door, entering in and staying overnight in that cabin in those woods!   





2 comments:

  1. All fabulous photos! I love the fog lifting from the stream. Is that a beaver dam, I spied. And a photo of a kingfisher, always delights me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is a beaver dam. Lots of the trees have wiring around them to save them from the beavers. I enjoy those Kingfishers, I always hear them first before I see them.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.