Monday, September 11, 2023

Port Angeles, Washington, USA for a Day September 11, 2023

One of the things I wanted to do while in Victoria, was to take the ferry to Port Angeles, Washington, USA for the day.  I was a tad nervous venturing this way to there on my own for a day.  Clearing customs both ways would be required. I woke this morning, the weather forecast was perfect, I thought just do it!  Geared up, packed my Passport and Trusted Traveller ID, walked five minutes to the dock, bought a round trip ticket, went through customs, got randomly chosen for a mug shot, boarded the boat. Here I am as a foot passenger happy to be aboard, waiting for all the vehicles to load.

see you later Victoria
It was a very nice 90 minute crossing through the Straight of Juan de Fuca.  I spent the majority of the time outside so I could enjoy the views and get my fill of fresh ocean air.  I took tonnes of photos but will share this one.  While savouring the scenery, I saw activity in the distance, I monitored it, then something began to appear above the water, a submarine emerged!
Port Angeles was looking appealing as we approached and 
I was quite excited for the experience ahead!
Upon entry to the USA, I declared my carrot sticks and 
said my purpose for being here was pleasure. 
There were numerous things I wanted to see so after checking in at the Visitor Centre, I then went on my merry way filling the four hours I had here.  Checking out the art work was on my list and it began with this octopus.
Many murals were displayed  around the streets.  I had a map of there locations so found a few that were not too far away from the harbour.

along one street the trees and light poles were donned with knitted art work
a view along one of the streets
I snapped a shot of this mural, then thought I need another one. This time I tried to blend in.
a wood sculpture 
It was this display on the outside of an art valley that caught my eye.  I entered in…..
…..and exited with this book!  She is local to the PNW, 
I loved her paintings and her story so I purchased her book.
Another thing I wanted to do was walk a few kilometres along the Olympic Discovery Trail.  
I snapped dozens and dozens of shots , I will share a few with you. The Trail is a work in progress.  The part that I covered was beautiful.  I like where it followed close to the water.
one section had these markings directly on the trail 
different seashells were shown
I like the star fish!
view along another section 
I had a late lunch which I brought with me.  There are many restaurants but I wanted to save time by eating on the run. My lunch time view was what is behind me.  There was a nice bench here to relax on.
After lunch I went for an ice cream treat.  Today’s flavour was a POG Sorbet, passion fruit, orange, guava on a waffle cone. My view was the Coast Guard ship and a wharf with a structure at the end which I climbed up before getting my ice cream.
Then just like that I noticed the ferry approaching Port Angeles.  I scurried to the dock to line up with the other foot passengers.  
After boarding, I went to the outside at the back to admire the view and to watch and wait while all the vehicles were loading,  
Good-Bye Port Angeles!

looking back at the mountains of Olympic National Park 
For the return trip, I spent the first few minutes and the last few minutes outside. As we were getting closer to Victoria, I joined a few others to take in the beauty.
Hello Victoria!  After deboarding, I declared my book, stated why I was not returning to Calgary right away when asked, and my purpose for being in Victoria.  What a day!  I was glad to be able to squash the nervousness and go for it!  I would do it again in a heart beat on another visit to Victoria!




2 comments:

  1. What a great excursion! I'm glad you decided to take the ferry to the US too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day when I saw that ferry leave for Port Angeles, I was wishing I was on it. I think the next time I go to Victoria, I will take the ferry to Seattle and stay a couple of nights.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.