Saturday, September 16, 2023

Victoria, British Columbia September 16, 2023

The first thing on today’s agenda was to go to the James Bay Saturday Market which was a hop, skip and a jump to the next block.  It was an ideal way to kick off the morning, listening to the live music and supporting the local crafters by coming away with a few purchased items.  The community spirit filled the air!  


Something else that filled the air each day was the clip clop clip clop sound made by the horse drawn carriage rides as they made their way throughout the neighbourhood.  A horse and carriage was standing by, I made an inquiry, then in a matter of minutes, I stepped up into the carriage and took a seat.  Clay the Clydesdale and Alex (short for Alexandra) the driver were my team for my horse drawn carriage ride.



It was now time to put some kilometres on my walking shoes!  This time I walked further along the Songhees Walkway all the way to Esquimalt Marina and back.  These are a few photos from that walk.  I passed by this location near the start a few times but this was the first time I noticed the mural.

taking time to enjoy the view
Esquimalt Marina
two cruise ships were docked for the day 
along the walkway 
 view towards the Inner Harbour 

In the evening I went out for an eight kilometre loop walk first heading to Dallas Road.  By now the two cruise ships which came from Alaska, stopped in Victoria for the day, were well on their way south.  
 view as I walked along the breakwater 
The wind picked up creating lots of rough waves.  I watched these people kayaking. 

 Before heading back to my home away from home, I stopped in at Fishermen’s Wharf for a late fish and chips dinner.  I watched the activity in the harbour, once again, the Coho is arriving at Victoria.
 view of downtown just before sunset



4 comments:

  1. Those places with such wonderful views are perfect for a walk, a run or to sit and relax.
    Love the horse and the carriage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many runners were out every time I was out walking. Back when I was runner, I ran two races in Victoria, a 10km race in May and the other was a half-marathon in October. A long stretch of the route for both followed the ocean.

      Delete
  2. I love the hint of autumn colour and what a coincidence that your driver was Alex!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As each day passes, more and more autumn shades appear!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.