Friday, October 11, 2024

Aurora Borealis October 10 & 11, 2024

Pinch me!  Am I dreaming?  Because this is what dreams are made of!  It was an unbelievable eight hours stretching from 8:00pm last night until 4:00am this morning!  As I put together this blog post of my experience witnessing the Aurora Borealis, it's 5:45am and I still have not gone to bed!  Bed time will have to wait until tonight!  

Just after dinner, I began to watch the "My Aurora Forecast"' website.   Conditions were looking favourable for a good opportunity to see the Northern Lights.  As people were sharing photos of their sightings from Europe and then Eastern Canada, I hoped we would be as fortunate here in Calgary.  I left home shortly before seven and drove to the parking lot for Nose Hill.  I had a place in mind where I wanted to be up there and I wanted to get up there before it was pitch dark.

The sun just set as I hiked up the dirt trail to higher hills.  


I arrived at my spot around 7:30 and meandered about here and there not venturing too far.  This was the view as I looked to the northern sky. There were lots of clouds which is not a good thing but I hoped for the best.   

To pass the time, I watched the clouds dance around the moon.  I chatted with a few others who were heading further along the trail.  I took photos with my big camera, my little camera and my iPhone.  It was around 8:00pm when I began to feel cold so pulled out my down vest and while I was putting it on, I turned around and saw something in the sky I had never seen before.  When what to my wandering eyes should appear!

The Aurora Borealis came to life!  

All my Aurora photos were taken with my iPhone, which I just pointed and shooted!  I needed to be still for three seconds while it captured the photo.  Pinch me is this for real?  Am I dreaming?  I was speechless! I felt a lump in my throat and my lips quivered!  My eyes watered!  These are a few of the over one hundred special seconds in time that I captured in a half hour.   At 8:30 the show stopped so I began to hike down the hill and back to my car, with the assistance of my head lamp.










When I got home, I downloaded my photos and picked out the ones I wanted to share.  I moved them directly into the blog post so they would be ready for when I was ready to add my story. I made a warm beverage and sipped it while checking out what photos other locals had to share.  I checked the "My Aurora Forecast" again and Calgary was in the red meaning the strongest.  I looked out my back door and low and behold the Aurora Borealis was dancing with full force!  I bundled up, grabbed my hot beverage and iPhone then sat out on my deck from roughly 1:00am until just before 4:00. The Northern Lights never stopped dancing!  These are just a few of the dozens and dozens of sights that I captured.   






This is the Aurora forecast at 3:30 this morning.


I went onto the Sunshine Ski Hill webcam and watched the live Aurora webcam. 
I also took screen shots of two of the webcams.


 
This is a screen shot of a very small part of my photo album.


As I finish writing my story, after looking at all my photos many times, I still wonder is this all a dream!  This is the Thanksgiving long weekend and I have so much to be thankful for!  



4 comments:

  1. There are no words…I have goosebumps! ❤️ Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Wow, they are all beautiful photos. We were surprised on Oct 10th with the Northern Lights mostly pink in color right outside on my deck. Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed all this. I shouldn't go to bed a ten o'clock. However, I've seen my share of northern lights long before they started to forecast them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A magnificent, magical, unbelievable, totally awe inspiring evening! Wow, wow, wow!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.