Tuesday, October 15, 2024

over the Hunter's Moon

The full moon for October is called the Hunter's Moon and will be at its peak on Thursday October 17, 2024 at 5:26 AM Mountain Time at which time it will be below the horizon.  This Supermoon will be best witnessed at sunset when you can watch it rise.  The Hunter's Moon will orbit closer to the earth than any other moon this year and will be the brightest Supermoon of the year.  The following excerpt was captured from the Almanac:

"Why Is It Called the Hunter’s Moon?  This particular full Moon is commonly referred to as the full Hunter’s Moon. It is believed that this name originates from the fact that it was a signal for hunters to prepare for the upcoming cold winter by going hunting. This is because animals were beginning to fatten up in preparation for the winter season. Moreover, since fields had recently been cleared out under the Harvest Moon, hunters could easily spot deer and other animals that had come out to search for remaining scraps. Additionally, foxes and wolves would also come out to prey on these animals."

This is my watercolour painting of the Hunter's Moon and will represent October in my 2025 Calendar.  I was quite pleased with the outcome especially after adding the stars, the light from the hunter's headlamp and the moon reflecting in the water.  

The following photos were used as references.  These are photos I took from two hikes to Tombstone Lakes on September 25, 2010 and on August 31, 2014.  Tombstone Lakes area is in a Wildland location which is open to hunting during certain times of the year.  I have seen hunters on foot and on horseback while I was hiking in the area.  The bottom photo was taken while hiking on Pigeon Mountain during hunting season on October 31, 2018. 

🌔a tease🌕

This morning at 3:00am an Aurora alert woke me.  Even though the forecast was very low for seeing the Lights, I went downstairs to look out my back door just in case.  I saw no Northern Lights but I did see the moon!  The first photo was taken just after 3:00am and the second photo taken a half hour later and is a zoomed in shot.  It's not quite full but should be by tomorrow night.   



 Wherever I am on the evenings of October 16 and 17, 
I will be over the moon if I get to witness the full Hunter's Moon!


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of the moon! I hope our skies will be clear to see the Hunter's moon.
    I like your watercolor, well done! Have a great day and happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be checking again tomorrow morning and Thursday morning too! Wishing you a clear sky!

      Delete
  2. I missed all northern lights because I go to bed too early. I will be watching the moon.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.