Saturday, October 19, 2024

Mallard Point : Fish Creek Provincial Park October 19, 2024

After today's "out & about",  I have now reached my goal of covering 2024 kms in the year 2024!  There will be no stopping me though because I want to cover more kilometres this year than I did last year.  In 2022 my goal was 2022 kms and I did 2065 kms;  in 2023 my goal was 2023 kms and I did 2086 kms.  In 2024 my goal is 2024 kms and I did ???? ! As each year passes and I'm a year older, I am feeling I can do even more!  The elevation gain may have dwindled but the distance certainly has not.

I covered the kilometres today at Fish Creek Provincial Park from the Mallard Point location. I arrived for sunrise and waited on the shore of the Creek for the dawning of a beautiful new day.  My intentions were to firstly make sure I covered the distance I needed, savour the autumn shades and I hoped I would be lucky enough to see some birds.  

 A split second in time during Golden Hour looked like this!
I veered away from the main trail and wandered along a path that followed close to Fish Creek. 
Many more leaves now lay on the ground.  

Further along, the path ascends up a small ridge where the views were grandeur.  
The snow capped mountain peaks are framed by the two trees.

marshmallow clouds with a beautiful blue sky
reds and reflections are candy for my eye

I can name that tune in one beat!  
I heard it then I saw the Belted Kingfisher!  

My intention was to snap a shot of the trees,
so I aimed and focused! 
Then a Bald Eagle did a fly by,
right in front of my eye!

Common Goldeneye

American Wigeon

It was 40 years ago this weekend that I said farewell to Nova Scotia and moved to Calgary to make my millions!  It was a beautiful autumn day in the plus mid teens when I left.  I arrived in Calgary to a couple of feet of snow and a minus double digit celsius temperature.  I cried saying "What have I gotten myself into?"  Now when the temperatures drop and the snow flies, I don't cry, I look forward to embracing the season! 

The Black-capped Chickadees know how to survive Calgary's winters!  We have rain/snow in the forecast for Monday!  I'm ready and so are the Chickadees!  In recognition of that, this is my watercolour painting.  A few years ago when I was into sketching with coloured pencils, I drew a few birds dressed in winter attire.  Now it was time to try my hand at a painting.   

This was my reference photo.  
I snapped this shot in January of 2022 at Wyndham Carseland.  



12 comments:

  1. Alexandra, You are amazing the way you have set your goals and accomplished them. 2024 kms for 2024 … wow. I had to convert that (ha ha) to miles = 1257.6. Wow again … you’ve walked across the State of Washington 4.19 times. I continue to be amazed (again) at what a great blog you publish. Your photos and artwork are just great. I am assuming that you are a retired lady. I am curious what you did in your career? You may have wondered where I’ve been as I haven’t commented for you recently. I was traveling and had all my social media on the back burner. I just published some photos of my travels and hope you’ll stop by and take a look. Have a happy weekend and week ahead. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am retired! Retired in 2018 from working as an engineering technician in oil and gas at a major bank. Thank You for your nice comment! So nice that you were travelling, I will be dropping into your blog tomorrow to reread all about your adventure.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on achieving your goal & with lots of time left I have no doubt you’ll blow it out of the water! 40 years, WOW…I remember it like it was just yesterday. ❤️Norma. PS. Love the bird ready for Monday’s snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never forget that night when you picked me up at the airport!

      Delete
  3. Early fall can give us some nasty weather. I don't remember this one. I've been in Alberta for 55 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like something will be rolling in tomorrow morning!

      Delete
  4. Hello. Beautiful scenery. Great series of bird photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scenery is so pretty here at this time of year!

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    Wow, congrats on your walking goals. I love the beautiful views of the water and skies. Skywatching is one of my simple pleasures. Great captures of the Kingfisher, the Eagle, the ducks and the chickadee. Your Chickadee art work is pretty. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post.
    Take care, have a great day and a wonderful week.
    PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the goal is extra motivation to get out the door even when I feel like staying home! Lots going on in the sky these days!

      Delete
  6. Great adventure! Love the photos of the scenery and the wildlife. Congratulations on reaching your 2024 km goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for stopping by and leaving your comment! There was much beauty to enjoy!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.