Thursday, October 24, 2024

Banff National Park October 24, 2024



I went for the full overall view of Banff Townsite today instead of seeing the detailed sights up close.  To do that, I hiked up Sulphur Mountain. It began to snow while I was driving up hill to the trailhead but it did not last long.  The clouds began to break up, the sky took on pink tones and I was ready to hit the trail.  A few years back, it was a thing that if you hiked up you could ride the gondola down for free.  
The route is made up of many long switchbacks through the forest with no worthy views other than mountain teases through the trees.  As you get near the top, the switchbacks follow under the gondola track.  That’s when I started  to take photos.  

The hiking trail spits you out at the helicopter pad at the backside of the gondola station.  I made it! The welcome sign for hikers tells us to remove our spikes.  There are two brushes attached to the step to clean dirt from our boots before heading to the station.  

As I expected, it was very cold and very windy up here.

a few minutes by the fire helped

This is the full overall view of Banff that I  hiked up here to see! 

my selfie shot from the level 4 viewing location

I did not walk up to the Cosmic Ray Station at top left.  What I did do was find a bench inside by a window with a view and enjoyed my lunch. 

view of Mount Rundle from level 4

clouds rolling in and out over the Cosmic Ray Station

It was time to begin the hike back down Sulphur Mountain.  That’s the helicopter pad down below that I need to get to then the trail veers left off it at the bottom of the stairs.

Even though it warmed up somewhat, the trail remained as hard pack snow and frozen ground. My spikes and poles were much appreciated on this hike.  


8 comments:

  1. That fire looks very inviting especially with the wind & clouds in your photos. Also looks very quiet & peaceful. ❤️Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was anything but quiet and peaceful, for a split second there was no one in the vicinity when I took this photo!

      Delete
  2. It was a little warmer the day I visited over twenty years ago and I used the gondola both ways. Cheating I know. Beautiful photos. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you take the gondola, you have more energy and time to enjoy everything at the top.

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of snow on the top. skiers will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With every snowflake that falls, the skiers get happier!

      Delete
  4. Hello
    You do take go on the most wonderful hikes. Beautiful scenic views, love the photos and your sketch.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fortunate to have places like this less than two hours from home!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.