Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Snowshoe Trail Waterton Lakes National Park October 2, 2024


Over the past couple of weeks, Waterton has been winding down for the winter season.  The balance of the winding down will occur on Thanksgiving Monday the 14th.  I was checking accommodations on a daily basis recently with hopes of one last visit before winter season.  A vacancy showed up and I grabbed it!  The weather is forecasted for perfect and the autumn shades are prime.  It’s go time!  

view before driving down the hill towards the Park entrance


driving through the Buffalo Paddock

the Buffalo roam

watching the Buffalo from the safety of my vehicle 

driving along the Red Rock Parkway

further along the Red Rock Parkway 

This is my first time being in Waterton Lakes National Park in October. Most businesses are still open with shorten hours, the colours are incredible and it is past tourist season.  There were a dozen vehicles at the Red Rock Canyon parking lot when I arrived.  It’s nice to know there are a few people around.  Being around noon time, I was not about to set off on a lengthy hike so opted for a few kms down the Snowshoe Trail which I have never done before.

Right near the start, there was lots going on right in front of me!  I first heard something then saw this.  This Ruffed Grouse was blending in with the ground and the leaves, the leaves were moving as the Grouse fanned its’ tail feathers, it was strutting in circles and then flew off.  

The following photos are views along the trail.





There were many birds along the trail.  I saw Robins, Mountain Chickadees, Black-capped Chickadees, Woodpeckers and this Ruby-crowned Kinglet.  They migrate to the southern US states and into Mexico.  You better get going girl!  

a male Hairy Woodpecker 

I hiked an hour in and then returned the way I came.  

checking into my home away from home




5 comments:

  1. I like Waterton but I've only been there twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a perfect start to another great adventure! And yes, that little Kinglet better start flapping those little wings…it has a loooong way to go. ❤️ Norma

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to have such a beautiful place to yourself without hordes of visitors. Enjoy. B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful place for your hike! Your photos are beautiful. Great sightings of the Grouse, Hairy Woodpecker and the Kinglet is sweet. The sky looks lovely! Take care, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.