Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Banff National Park October 23, 2024



It was just a blip but it caught my attention!  The first major snowfall of the season lasted a day, it was warm the days leading up to it and for the following days.  I knew some snow would stick in the mountains west of the city.  This escape westerly to Banff National Park is “the call of the first snowfall”!  The road conditions to get there were summer-like yet once I got to Lake Louise it was very early winter-like.  This was the view that welcomed me as I arrived near the head of the Lake from along the trail from the Upper Parking Lot.
My plan was to saunter along the shore and savour the sights.

At the far end of the Lake where it becomes the Plain of Six Glaciers Trail and follows through a forest section, it looked and felt a bit more winter-like.  Even with my spikes on and carrying poles and bear spray, I was not keen to venture further.  
I explored around the far end where there were an abundance of beautiful photo opportunities.  While here, I thought about how in two months time, the ice will be frozen, the skating section cleared and the ice castle will be built.  If the stars align, people will “wild ice” skate at the far end in late November. 
looking down onto the moraine at the far end of Lake Louise 
with The Chateau in the distance and the Ski Hill behind it

ice beginning to form 



 view of The Chateau from along the shore 

looking back to where I was

Fairview Mountain
the water truly was this colour viewing it with the naked eye 

When I got back near the head of the Lake, I settled on a bench for an extended time.  It was so incredibly pretty, I just wanted to continue taking it all in. This chipmunk paid me a visit. It was obvious it had received treats from others.  It came onto the back of the bench, then onto my shoulder, then onto my pack, I quickly zipped the pack when it poked its head inside, it came onto my knee and started to walk up my thigh.  I shooed it away a few times.  Finally it went on its way!  

a Clark’s Nutcracker

a Steller’s Jay

By the time I made it back to the trail leading up to the parking lot, staff were moving the canoes to their winter shelter, pulling them to here then partnering up and carrying them the balance of the way.

The last time I was at Lake Louise was in March for a few days.  I hope to venture back this coming December when winter is in full swing and I can skate and cross country ski.  



6 comments:

  1. Me thinks I was born in the wrong country! Absolutely, stunningly glorious! 32C here yesterday! Too hot, too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m happy to bring these views to you virtually! With it being this hot so soon for you, I am concerned for what you could be facing!

      Delete
  2. They got a surprising amount of snow further up in the hills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this will be a good year for winter sports in the mountains, bring on more snow!

      Delete
  3. A glorious day captured in glorious photos! And what a brave little but cute chipmunk. ❤️Norma

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.