Monday, February 15, 2021

a long weekend


The days run into each other as do the weekends, the weeks even the months!  This was a long weekend for us, for me it's a stretch of three days that include Valentine's Day and Family Day.  This weekend too the Polar Vortex went on its merry way. Now I feel more merry about going on my way!     

Harvie Passage to  St George's Island February 15, 2021
With the sun up earlier I am now getting the urge to be out the door sooner.  This morning the temperature was still low and the windchill was high, so what, I went anyway.  No more waiting and seeing like it has been for the past many days.  I parked at Pearce Estates and wound my way through that park quickly in favour of spending my time along side the water.  With the Polar Vortex gone, so soon will all this.   I took it all in and the following photos and collage are what I took home.



By the time I finished it had not warmed up much. That's O.K. though, it will, so they say!


Confluence to Laycock February 13, 2021

These days of wait & see seem to be slowly yet surely coming to an end.  Once the forecast reached a safe pairing of temperature with windchill, it was go time.  I tested the winds first before spending more time out in the wide open.  After confirming the conditions were user-friendly enough, I exited the forest and headed to Laycock Park.  Not only were the views a joy to see today but also the two deer that appeared to not know where they wanted to go were quite entertaining.  I wondered were they spooked, were they playing, were they just racing around trying to keep warm.  This was the first day in over a week I felt warmth from the sun while "out & about".  There is hope!            




working with multi-media February 14, 2021
Over the past few weeks I have been learning about multi-media techniques with regards to sketching.  This style first came to light when I read articles about nature sketch journaling.  I liked the look of samples that were shown where water-color paints and colored pencils were both used in the same project.  Then there were samples that included writings with archival pens along with the paints and the pencils.  This is my first try laying multi-media on mix-media paper.  The sun, the water on either side of the sun, the sun reflecting in the water and the rocks are done with water-colors.  The words are with orange archival ink and for the balance of the sketch I used Goldfaber pencils.  I am not happy with more than I am happy with in this project.  I have lots to learn and I want to learn it!  Stay tuned!   
The inspiration for this sketch is from a little book I received a few years ago from my "valley girl" friend.  The saying is  a part of one saying in the book and my sketch is made up from two photos in the book with a touch of my own idea added.  Before doing the project in multi-media, I completed it first, fully in colored pencils.  This sketch was done on rough paper which I forgot I do not like. I remembered that in very short order but went ahead and finished it.  


Today will run into tomorrow that will run into the next that will run into Thursday.  
With a wonderful forecast, I will be running, well not literally 
but the days are looking good for lots of "outing & abouting"!


2 comments:

  1. Mind bloggling, chilly cold, but ohhhhhh so beautiful snowy landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A day later and we are now into much warmer weather!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.