Thursday, February 18, 2021

hills & trails

Bowness Park Ice Time February 18, 2021

I missed that magical feeling of sailing along on the ice beneath my feet.  The weather conditions presented this morning called out that it's time again to feel that magic.  The temperature needed to be warm enough to bare my hands for the amount of time necessary to lace up and strap on my skates.  The weather over the past while took a toll on the ice surface yet the grooming crew are doing their best to keep it smooth. They were working their magic while I skated and in sections I was the first to leave my mark.  This time around I covered more ground than prior outings.  Skating on The Lagoon, The Ice Trail and The Canal, the distance covered was 14.5kms.  I am using my skating distances towards The Cabot Trail Virtual Challenge.  The Support Team provided an activity conversion chart.  Approximately half of the  skating distance can be used towards my challenge.  As February winds down and spring approaches, I hope for a few more opportunities to feel the magic!      
this is my track for the 14.5kms



Nose Hill Environmental Park February 16, 2021

This morning's plan was to go watch the city wake up then get some fresh air and exercise wandering about up on The Hill!  The forecast was favourable for all that.  The roads from home to there still need to clear up so it was a slow careful drive.  The sunrise was gorgeous!  It always surprises me how many people choose to begin their day in the same way as me.    
Very soon on, I began to notice little snow ducks.  
They were about two to three inches in size. 
I chuckled to myself to see that someone was working at 
"getting their ducks in a row"!
Here are some of today's sights!  I came upon the largest fort ever up on The Hill.  This one even had a welcome sign.  There were many large open areas of untouched snow that were so inviting so I had to create a snow angel.  When the wind blows, every little piece of foilage that can move forms a pattern in the snow.  The clouds were pretty this morning and created nice photo opportunities. 




2 comments:

  1. I was thinking you’d be heading to Bowness now that it’s warmed up a bit...quite the ‘hike’ to make up for lost time!!! And those ducks on Nose Hill, too cute. .......Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the ducks were cute too! I imagine with all this sun we are having they will be melting away.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.