Monday, February 1, 2021

Horton Hill February 1, 2021


A few years ago a hike up Horton Hill came to my attention.  When I put the prospect out there it did not resonate with friends so I put the idea on the back burner.  Fast forward to now when I am going through all those ideas that have built up on the back burner, it's time to diminish that pile!  Horton Hill hike here I come!  After today's experience, I know I will come back again!

The Lusk Creek Day Use Parking Lot was empty when I arrived.  The sky was turning from grey to blue while wispy white willowy clouds were being designed. I came prepared with spikes plus poles and both were absolutely needed.  After just a few minutes from leaving the parking lot, the steep climb began.  Not soon long after, the teasers then started.  I could tell already this would be an easy day to frame with lots of beautiful trees and pretty mountain scenes.
The sun was up high enough yet still low enough to offer up this view.  
This photograph gives you an idea of the angle of the ascent.
Sights like this are very appealing to me!  It's the trees, the sky, the snow, the clouds all paired perfectly together.  See how the trees are all leaning?  Well, I was leaning too, into the wind and into the climb!
That little bump over there is the location of the Barrier Lake Fire Lookout.  
I have never seen it from this angle before.  
I have been up there many many times.
trembling aspens 
the prominent Mount Baldy
This is a close up of that little bump mentioned above.  
You can see the Fire Lookout under the red star.  
It is quite something to see it from this angle.
I found my way to the summit of Horton Hill.  
What a lovely spot!  It was so nice to have it to myself.  While in the trees, there was not lots of shelter right here but I was OK with that and just accepted the wind and enjoyed the peace and the sun.  I signed the summit register before sipping and snacking.
I was wishing I had my colored pencils with me!
tea time
the wind subsided somewhat while sipping and snacking
I enjoyed my summit time and felt fulfilled enough to get going and begin the decent.  First though I carried on along the ridge a bit to where I was afforded this grand view.  That's that little bump again middle right, Barrier Lake in the middle and a long stretch of the 40 to the left of it.
a close up view of Barrier Lake and Highway 40

While descending I met two separate single ladies hiking up Horton Hill.  This was not a busy place today. Although from the beaten trail, you could tell it is a busy route.  Being an easy drive, a short steep hike with great views, gets me thinking this could become my weekday go to Hill when I feel I need to get some quick gain.  Horton Hill will not be back too far on the back burner!  




1 comment:

  1. Love that 2nd photo...that would make a great painting!!! Norma

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.