Sunday, February 7, 2021

Weekend Warrior

P O L A R   V O R T E X

We were warned!  I went into warrior mode finding ways to stay happy, healthy, busy and safe during these dangerous days of low temperatures with high windchills.   When experiencing a polar vortex at the best of times it can be a challenge to get through each day.  Given the level of restrictions we are dealing with right now the level of challenge became elevated!         

Low minus twenties celsius are ideal conditions to create balloon ice orbs.  These are some of this year's colorful collection.  I was pleased to see one of the hearts settled at the edge so when I removed the balloon, there it was, ready for February 14th.  I made a few more after this batch and once they were ready added them to the display.  They now sit outside my front door adding a bright sight for those that pass by.    
 

By bundling up in multiple layers and keeping a good pace, I can manage an hour outside.  Preferring to stick close to home to be on the safe side, once again Confluence Park was my choice place to wander during these polar vortex conditions.  This forest becomes more beautiful after each snowfall.  I know to take this all in because once a wind whips up, this beauty will be gone.    


I will skate again once we are back to normal winter-like weather, until then my etching is via sketching.  This is "The Ice Trail" at Bowness Park as I see it.  It is completed on a sheet of 9in X 12in bristol smooth with all prisma premier colors and touched up with a white gel pen.  When I began sketching from my photographs, the renderings were matching the photo as best I could.  What I am preferring now is to work from numerous photos and even from previous sketches.  I look forward to lacing up my blue figure skates again and creating more original etchings!   


Even deeper into the polar vortex today, I went back to be deep into the forest finding shelter from the wind.  Now with not a cloud in the sky only means we are open to colder conditions.  With yet another sprinkle of winter white on top of what we already have, I got to create fresh tracks once again.  Finding the right combination of winter wear makes being out for the hour bearable.    


After checking the upcoming forecast, I am glad I got out each day over the past few. 
It is onward and downward from here!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.