Saturday, July 17, 2021

getting my urban fix

Inglewood Bird Sanctuary

When I check the site that shows what people are seeing on a daily basis at the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary, it makes me want to see what they are seeing.  I go, I look, I don't see! I don't see all of what they are seeing but I do see some, a very small some. While I want to be active covering kilometres, that's not going to get me seeing what others see.  Time well spent at the Sanctuary means standing still lots, being patient, opening my ears and eyes wider.   

It was a slight movement to the right that caught my eye.  The baby Northern Flicker was less than half the size of my fist and blended in with the tree stump.   I aimed, zoomed in, snapped the shot.  The second I snapped the shot, the Mom flew in.  The baby was learning to fly but did not quite have the wing span to get lift off.  
The baby stayed on the stump and I was able to capture numerous photos.  It took standing still for extended periods and just listening and then attempting to focus my eye to where the sound was coming from.  Eventually I spotted what I believe is a Warbling Vireo blending in with the trees.  The White-Breasted Nuthatch did not blend in.  It stood on the wood walkway as I approached.  This front on view of the Northern Flicker makes me smile.  The Robin pair of a Mom and her Juvenile stuck close together.    Oh how they grow so quickly.  Middle right is a Juvenile Male Wood Duck and bottom left is a Juvenile Female Wood Duck.   A mere month ago they were little balls of fluff skimming along the water.  For this Male Downy Woodpecker, having an eagle eye to spot was not necessary.  I am learning so much about bird life and it has been interesting and enjoyable to see the transition they make through a season of life.  

 


Carburn Park

While I love sunrises and the colours they can create, the view this morning was created from our city being shrouded in smoke.  It looked like a sunrise but it was not one, the sun was already well above the trees.  With smoke in the forecast along with a scorching temperature, I headed to Carburn Park where I knew I could be near water and in the trees for most of the time.   

In the still and quiet of the morning while meandering along the tree lined trail, I heard a swoosh above.  With my camera in hand ready to point then shot, I looked up expecting to spot a big bird of some sort, but this is what I saw.  The pilot was vigorously shooting flames into the balloon, I assumed trying to rise higher above the trees.  
While along the river path, I went to where I had seen the pelicans before but they were no where to be seen.  What I did see were many Double-Crested Cormorants.  I could relate to this one with its wings spread wide.  It stayed in that position for many many seconds.  When it's hot and a breeze comes up, I spread my arms wide.   The House Wren sings its morning song.  The Spotted Sandpiper performs a balancing act. The Black-Capped Chickadee shows of its perfectly fitting black cap.  
The sky did try to open and shed some blue.  
This was the best it could do.



Nose Hill

After checking the forecast for the day, I thought it best to get out sooner rather than later as the smoke was due to thicken as the day went on. I knew it would be a morning of up close views.  Once again the sun was already well up but due to thick smoke from the forest fires, a sunrise view was what it looked like.  What I learned on the news this morning is the smoke we have here comes from the wildfires in British Columbia to the west, the fires from Saskatchewan in the east and from the fires to the south of us in the North Western United States.

wildflowers against the wildfires sky
The sun was up there trying to break through but no luck.  
It created an erie stormy look.
this water will not last long 
thriving in the heat
it looks like four stages of life of the wild rose
I wondered about the shape of this Male Downy Woodpecker!  
Seeing it from all angles, it definitely was pleasingly plump.   

Who knows how long the smoke will stay in the area!  They say as long as the wildfires are burning, we will have smoke no matter what direction the wind is blowing.  For now, it's about taking each day as it comes and making the most of it in some way that feels fulfilling. 


1 comment:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.