Thursday, July 22, 2021

Yoho Valley Trail, Yoho National Park July 22, 2021

After being high in wide open spaces where I could see forever for each hike over the past two days, I was  now game for a closer experience with nature.  Yesterday two friends hiked the Yoho Valley Trail to Laughing Falls and their story of that hike sounded exactly like what I was in search of.  I left a bit later after a lazy start savouring the early morning at my campsite.  

I drove west from Lake Louise leaving Banff National Park behind and entered into Yoho National Park.  Crossing that border seemed surreal this morning as I left blue sky behind and drove into some cloud, some blue, some smoke, some smell.  Yet the higher I drove along that winding long stretch of road with hair pin turns, in addition to seeming surreal it now felt erie too!

It was a pants, long sleeve shirt & jacket morning when I left the car and hit the trail. 
I could see blue and wildflowers in the direction I was headed.   
Were those storm clouds?    
It has been many years since I hiked this part of the Yoho Valley.  
My visits here have taken me in the other direction up along the Iceline Trail.  
I liked this looked today. 
This was a great trail for that up closer experience with nature.  
This trail worked its way through the forest for a few kilometres.  
It was lined with many distractions.
I arrived at Laughing Falls and stuck around for awhile to snack and snap shots.
Laughing Falls was my main destination and turn around point.  By now it had warmed up yet was on the humid side.  It felt like something was in the air and it remained erie and surreal.   You would not know it had been so dry lately.  Everything was vibrant and colourful and lush looking.  I made an effort to notice every little thing nature offered around me.
More blue appeared and it enticed me to stick around this area for awhile.  
I found a short trail that offered access to the river side.  
It looked like a little beach and a fun place to hang out.  
That heart in the first photo above, this is where I carved it.  
The sun was trying to break through above me.  
what a wonderful creation by mother nature
On the way back, I took the detour to Duchesnay Lake.
Now back on the main Yoho Valley Trail, I decided to just work my way along the few kilometres back to the parking lot yet still enjoy what was up close right in front of my eyes.  The mountains in the distance were silhouettes, cloud hung low and that soft shade of pink told me yes there are wildfires to the west.
paintbrush wildflowers added colour to the day
When Takakkaw Falls came into view, that meant I was near the parking lot.  I passed through the Takakkaw Falls walk in campground then on to the parking lot.  I geared down, hopped in my car and then the sky opened up and it rained, for five minutes.  I was ready to hit that winding road back down to the main highway then....


...drive back to my campsite where my hammock was hanging and waiting for me!




1 comment:

  1. You are surrounded by so much beauty even with these smoky skies. I do hope they can be controlled.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.