Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Mount Saint Piran, Banff National Park July 20, 2021

Lake Louise is located between smoked smothered Calgary to the east and the hundreds of wildfires in British Columbia to the west.  Somehow with the way of the winds the Lake Louise area offered up lots of blue sky and fresh air.  I enjoyed four nights sleeping in my tent at the Lake Louise Soft-Side Campground and the balance of the time living life outside in this beautiful playground.  

💖One of my favourite hikes to do in this area is Mount Saint Piran. 💖  

It takes me a bit longer to get myself together for a hike when I am departing from a campsite.  This  morning it did not matter how early the start, it did not cool down  much overnight so the heat hit hard and early.  A layer of fog and cloud hung low but I could see blue above and that was where I was headed.  The wildflowers were a beautiful distraction while the views were fogged in.

As I ascended towards the blue, I watched the fog roll in and out.  I had to be quick with the shutter as it motored on through.  Here it is almost ready to envelop the Big Beehive.  Mount Temple is off there in the middle where two friends were scrambling up it today.
where there was cloud & fog, there was also vibrant colours
where the wildflowers grow always amazes me
"hippies-on-a-stick" fill the sky
Clark's Nutcracker
I was happy to be nearing the end of the long switchbacks which meant there was just the easy scrabbly section left before reaching the summit. A large portion of the sky was blue and there were some light white fluffy puffy clouds scattered here and there.   
a last push to the scrabbly section
view of Mount Niblock framed at the left and bottom by rocks of Piran
I reached the summit of Mount Saint Piran!
It looked a bit smoky off in the distance but the air was fresh right here.  I picked the perfect spot to settle for awhile.  How do I know it was perfect?   I found a heart shaped rock as I prepared to sit.  It was quiet a way up here.  I shared the space with two couples.  
The fog had moved on, cloud remained along with some haze and a slight amount of smoke.  Mount Temple is the furthest away in the middle with the summit hid by the cloud.  I wondered how my friends were doing.  Fairview Mountain stands straight ahead with Lake Louise in the middle and the Big Beehive, that rounded tree-covered mound to the right of the Lake.
descending Mount St Piran
dainty & delicate meets rough & rugged
I took a last view of the wide open space and the wildflowers before entering the forest where eventually I would meet up with the masses of people for the last couple of kilometres going to and coming from Lake Agnes.  
I cherish the stand out moments in time I experience when hiking Mount Saint Piran.  

There was no need to gear down after arriving back at the parking lot.  I just threw my pack and poles in the car, hopped in, then drove the 10 minutes to my camp site.  My hammock was hanging and ready for me!


2 comments:

  1. Awesome to join you on another hike that I am partially familar with.
    Glad you could enjoy the day even with the smoke and heat. How did your friends fair. we are climbig a peak tomorrow. My story and views will be so different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two guys had a successful summit of Mount Temple. They arrived back at the campground about 15 hours later and we got to hear their story and celebrate with them.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.