Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Nihahi Ridge July 12, 2021

It's been just short of ten years since I hiked up to where the Canadian Rockies begin.  I picked Nihahi Ridge as my objective today knowing I would get to spend lots of time in shade in the trees, there would be plenty of wildflowers and also I would get to be in a wide open space where I could see forever. Today is the beginning of another scorcher stretch for days on end.  I wanted little time in the car so I could leave home at a half decent time and still be on the trail early.  

  the gateway to where the Canadian Rockies begin

From the parking lot you get to stretch your legs at a good pace for a couple of kilometres along the Little Elbow River then along the road through the campground then along the Little Elbow Trail.  Finally it is time to veer right into the forest and begin ascending.  The Paintbrush wildflowers in crimson red were a welcoming sight.
The Brown-Eyed Susan wildflowers were scattered in amongst the Paintbrush wildflowers.
When I reached the meadow I could see where I was headed...
...and I could also see the meadow was carpeted with those crimson red wildflowers!
It is views like this which is why I love wildflower season so much!  
A backdrop of Canadian Rockies to the west!
After exiting the dense forest, the views to the west begin to open up.  There is no shade from here on in to  the top, neither is there a breeze but thankfully there are no bugs. I slowed my pace and stopped lots as there were many photo opportunities.  
enjoying the view of the Rockies to the west...
...and also taking in the views of the Foothills to the east.
Where I want to be is straight up ahead. The trail follows the tree line.
Along the way the Yellow Columbine appears to grow out of the talus.
It's a steep slope with a narrow path so I go gingerly with my movement.
Alpine Buttercups
I reached the area where I wanted to be then unloaded my gear and settled on shale for snacks.  What a grand view of the Little Elbow River winding its way through the Elbow Valley with the Rockies on either side.  It appeared I was owning this space!  
the view stretches far and wide
After enjoying the prettiness and peacefulness for quite some time, I was feeling fulfilled and ready to pack up and begin heading back down.  I could not resist capturing one more photo!
I passed through these trees lining the trail, took a last look back and then entered the dense forest following the rough and rugged and rooty trail down. It was only now that I began to see other hikers who were on their way up.  We stopped for a few minutes and exchanged pleasantries.  One group was discussing cutting their hike short due to the heat they were feeling already.  That confirmed for me, good thing I started early.
back to the meadow
There was just one easy stretch down before coming out to the...
...Little Elbow Trail.

I followed the horses for a short bit then they veered to the right where I could see they brought the horses down to the Little Elbow River to wade and drink.   A wade and a drink was enticing but I opted to continue along the trail to my car and then head on home.  I had a cold beverage in the fridge waiting for me!


2 comments:

  1. Hard to imagine this is just in our backyard! Thanks for taking me along through your photos…just beautiful. Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tantalising beauty in every form.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.