Thursday, July 15, 2021

sketching is for the birds

When I spent time sketching over the past year or so, it was weather related or because we were told to stay home.  Now that we no longer have to stay home because we were told we don't have to, I have been to avoid the smoke from the forest fires and to avoid the unusual high heat.  I love sketching but during summer I would rather be out playing in fresh air under blue skies. 

Here you have my latest project!  I did an online tutorial to learn how to sketch a house finch.  I also used a couple of photos that I took while "out & about" as references.  Believe it or not, there is lots of pink and peach in this sketch.  They were used as the base and then numerous shades of red, orange, gold, brown and grey were layered on top.  

These are the two reference photos, both of which I captured at Inglewood Bird Sanctuary.  The house finch population is growing in numbers in Alberta and is a welcome sight as they bring colour and song to our neighbourhoods (referred to my bird book for this information).  
During my googling on how to render a house finch with coloured pencils on paper, I came across an interesting topic.  Each bird has a "totem pole" which describes its meaning and symbolism.  I put together this chart showing that a finch is a sparkly symbol of high energy and brighter days ahead.  


I enjoyed the time I spent sketching this house finch.  
I already have a tutorial saved on how to sketch another pretty bird. 
Stay tuned!



3 comments:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.