Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Big Elbow Trail October 27, 2021

With brand new winter tires on my vehicle, I now feel brave enough to hit those roads that take me to wild places.  I knew there had been snow recently in the Elbow-Sheep Wildland Provincial Park in Kananaskis and I wanted to be "out & about" in it!  The snow plow had just passed by the entrance to the parking lot. As I made the left turn into the lot, I could see I was the first here since last nights snow.   It would be easy to tell if I was sharing the trail with any wildlife.  

when the view began to open
a few centimetres of accumulated snow was just enough 
I arrived at Elbow Lake to this incredible view.  Someone from my private group messaged me saying they see a heart!  I did not see it until she pointed it out, and yes there it is at a sideways angle.  Do you see it? The wind was cold and wild out in the open.  I kept my heavy layers on as I knew I would be slow circling around the Lake while taking time to "remember to breathe"! 
reflection in the open water
As I hiked beside the Lake, I could see the wind whip up and swirl the snow on the other side.
crossing from the Provincial Park into the Wildlands Park
the sky beginning to clear
With the shelter I was afforded through the forest section, I could hear birds.  I stood still and looked for movement.  This is what I spotted!  This is a female Common Redpoll.   The male has a more pinkish chest.  I learned these birds migrate north for the winter months.   It was such a treat to see her!
Once again, I could see the wild wind whip up and swirl the snow.  
I donned every layer I had with me to stay warm!
I love these wild places! 
the creek still flows
My destination spot was the last wide open area where Tombstone Mountain was right behind me.
After capturing my wind measurement photo, I then tucked down slope a bit to find protection from the wind.  I settled for a little while in a spot where the tea could land in the cup.  Feeling refueled enough, I packed up and began the hike back the way I came.  By now a few other hikers were on the trail.  We exchange pleasantries as we passed. 
At times I turned around to brace my back against the wind. When I looked back this time, this view captured my attention.  Tombstone Mountain looked gigantic! The dusting of white gold along with the lighting made for such a pretty picture.  
When I arrived back at Elbow Lake, once again it was a slow go as I hiked along side it.  
I like how the ice is formed on this floating stump.
Almost back at the head of the Lake, I took one last look back.  

I was ready to head into the forest for the hike back down to the parking lot.  This was such a fulfilling day being out in that area.  I like the wildness of it and the snow and wind contributed to that.  In another month the gate on the highway will be closed until June of next year.   With more snow in the forecast over the next days, it was good to get out there while the getting out there was good!  



2 comments:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.