Thursday, October 21, 2021

Hummingbird Plume Lookout October 21, 2021

Being so close to the end of October, I went prepared for much different conditions than what we received.  My pack contained a down jacket, heavy gloves, winter hat, hot beverage and spikes all of which were not necessary.  We were gifted warmth and loads of sunshine!   I had been up on Hummingbird Plume Hill once before a few decades ago.  Enough time had passed that this seemed like a new hike to me.  

Lots of time was spent hiking through the forest where we had a scenery tease every now and then.
When it did open up, wow what a view we had!
If I had taken two more foots steps, I would have landed right on this Spruce Grouse.  
I spotted it at the last second, it did not move and I had to walk around it. 
The Hummingbird Plume Lookout was built in the early 1900's.  I wonder if the reason it is still standing is because of the shelter it receives! There is a picnic table right beside me but I opted to head to the opening to have a great lunch time view.
There were a few Gray Jays hanging around.
A minute or so through the trees and down a bit after the Lookout location, there is this open area with a little ledge.  This was a great place to settle in for a short while.  That's Highway 40 down below and Mount Baldy across the way.
my destination shot
a perfect pour where every drop landed in the cup
The peek-a-boo's continued on the way back!
We veered to another trail for the return trip and crossed through the Nakiska Ski Hill area.  They are in the process of making snow, this is what has accumulated so far.  I walked through it, just because!  
the ski season appears to be a long way off
view along the way
This is one of the snow making machines 
where my eye level view matches up with the blue in the centre of the screened area.
When we passed by the Nakiska Ski Hill Village, there were two employees unpacking boxes of boots.  I assumed they were the ski rental boots. There were hundreds of boxes. They were working out in the sunshine,  wearing summer layers with not a flake of snow anywhere near them.  It looked like an odd sight! 
After passing though the Village, we went back into the forest on trails that in winter are X-C Ski Trails.  
I took one last view back thinking that possibly the next time I see this, it will be winter white!  

We commented on what a glorious day this was for the end of October!
I made sure to "remember to breathe" by savouring every single second!



2 comments:

  1. Alovely hike while watching the changing cloud patterns in that gorgeous blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were my favourite kind of clouds! Sometimes for me, they make the photo!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.