Sunday, November 7, 2021

beautiful beginnings

Oh what gorgeous days we have been gifted so far in November!  
I have been making the most of each new day as it begins.  

Weaselhead Flats

It has been ages since I visited the Weaselhead area.  My excuse is that I do not handle well the kitty corner, cross city, crooked from the corner drive through the city to get there.  I believed though on this morning it would be an easy breezy thing to accomplish and I proved that right!  To add on distance I parked at the entrance to North Glenmore Park and worked my way down into the Flats from there.

sunrise over the Glenmore Reservoir
view from crossing the bridge into the Weaselhead Flats
looking back at the bridge I crossed
This area offers a high chance of seeing birds, ducks and other wildlife.  In addition to loads of Canada Geese, there were many Buffleheads swimming around, both male and female.  The White-Capped Chickadees were flitting about throughout the Flats.  Someone left treats for them. I spotted this young buck on the other side of the creek who had spotted me first and watched my every move.  



Pearce Estates

On this morning, my plan was to catch the sunrise just a hop skip and a jump drive from out my front door.  I feel fortunate to get to experience that feeling of being one with nature so close to home.  I could tell while driving there that my favourite kind of clouds would be scattered across the sky.  The sun worked its way up through the trees while I worked my way along the trails.  
 
some of the trails I followed
There was lots to entertain me on this visit.  I took a short side trip down to the river where I saw this Bald Eagle sitting on the shore.  The magpies were pestering it to no end and I was not sure why.  It became clear though once the Bald Eagle spread its wings for lift off.  It was protecting its feast.  The black squirrel was also protecting its feast.  This was another black squirrel with a white tail but I was not able to get at an angle to show that.  I watched this male mallard for quite some time.  It was not moving and I wondered was it stuck to the ice or was it wondering where its feast was.  After many minutes passed, the duck squatted and sat on the ice.  I still wondered why it preferred being on the ice rather than in open water down the way a bit.  Later when I came back, it was gone.  




1 comment:

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.