Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Powderface Prairie Loop November 17, 2021

The weather forecast got back on a more user friendly track so I was game to hit the local highway.  I aimed for Route 66 and the parking area where I could hike the Powderface Prairie Creeks Loop.   Not much snow fell here compared to the whallop further west got.  There was a nice amount of snow for now, the temperature was frigid and there was loads of ice. I was prepared for all that!  

It did not take long to come to the realization that yes it is that time of year!  
My hair is short these days yet what did stick out of my toque, collected frost.     
At this time of year along the first section, it is always on the darker side as the sun still sits behind the trees.  The location of the intersection is wide open and everything gets lit.  For a split second I thought about heading up to the Pass but will save that for another day.  I veered off onto the Link trail.  
at the intersection
If you were with me on this hike, you would have been pulling your hair out!  I spent lots of time admiring  the creations of Mother Nature. Although, from the looks of the surroundings, I think someone may have cut out that snow in the shape of a heart.  I zoomed in to capture the tiny icicles which were maybe an inch long and the snow crystals on the frozen creek.  The snow crystal formation would be about an inch in size.  The icicles still had running water around them and I was not sure how solid the creek was. 
With just a couple more inches of snow, this meadow will become winter white! 
I knew all along this would be my lunch spot.  It's just off the trail, the sun hits the spot and the log is ideal to sit on for a spell.  Earlier on I saw loads of Chickadees that would not stop still for a second and in this location I expected the Gray Jays to come by for a visit.  They did not while I was eating but.....

..... once I was packed and ready to continue on hiking, two Gray Jays flew in and admired me (I like to think that but I know that is not the case) as I admired them.  I got to see one of them fluff up which I learned they do to stay warm when it is cold.  I had nothing for them but put my hand out anyway and one did land on my fingers and give me the eye.  

After all the admiration, I then carried on hiking, enjoying all the sights and sounds.  There were two more groups of Chickadees who had lots to sing about and other songs that I heard that were new to me but I could not see who they were coming from.   I liked the beautiful blue in the sky and how some wispy whites faintly blended in. 

Once back at my vehicle, I quickly geared down and went on my way.  I was thankful the roads were good for driving and thought about when I might be ready to hit the highway further west where winter is in wonderland mode!



2 comments:

  1. A pure magical morning! I would not have been impatient but enjoying each and every creation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been nice sharing the magical creations with you Helen!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.