Sunday, November 14, 2021

local life

It has been awhile since I left the city on a weekend and I don't see that happening any time soon.   One of the many benefits of living the life of retirement is that you get to go where ever, when ever you want!  Never in any other year have I invested so much time in admiring the local life.  I think of what it took for this door to open and find the positives!

 I arrived to see the sun rise!  


Those that visit early morning are afforded some sights that are a little more on the wild side.  It was cold enough that I could see the breath of the young Buck.  He was guarding over a female that was nestled down in the grass.  This Coyote saw me before I saw it.  When our eyes connected, it took off to get away from me as quick as possible.  When the sun shines on the male Mallard's head, it glows.  I was surprised to see a lone Robin still in the city at this time of year.  Someone left seeds for the birds, so I scooped up some to see what might happen. The Muskrat was busy swimming with the Mallards.  The small birds are so quick to fly about.  I aimed my camera to capture a shot of a Black Capped Chickadee, I saw a fluster of  activity through the lens and when I snapped the shot, this is what I got, a male Downy Woodpecker.  In a matter of a couple of seconds he swooped in and scared off the Chickadee.


Another day, another place, another early visit!
The early hours before the wind whipped up offered clear reflections.

It's was quiet at the Sanctuary.  The ponds are partially frozen yet there is just enough open water for the ducks and the muskrats.  The trees are now bare and the leaves blown away.  This place will be pretty again when we receive some winter white.  This morning there were two muskrats that were busy savouring a green breakfast.  The trio of male mallards were in sync savouring their breakfast.  I wondered what might have been on the ground in this specific spot as many White Breasted Nuthatches and Black Capped Chickadees took turns landing here to snap up their snacks. Two coyotes were hanging out here this morning.  This coyote crossed the ice on the pond while the other hid in the bushes.  It's breakfast time for them!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.