Sunday, June 18, 2023

Georges Island, Halifax, Nova Scotia

This is Georges Island as I saw it on Thursday afternoon.  My booking to go there was late Sunday morning.  At this time of year the boat only goes there on Saturday's and Sunday's and Sunday was the only day that would work for me.  I knew quite some time ago that I wanted to be out there and I booked my spot well before flying to Halifax.  

This is Georges Island on that day in December of 2015. It's this vision that is embedded in my brain.  While out walking on that day, I admired it for quite some time, it gave me a piece of what I was looking for at that time.  Maybe it was the lighthouse, the guiding light that I needed!

Sunday came and it was pouring rain.  Do I stay in bed where its comfy & cozy or do I venture down that hill to Cable Wharf along the Halifax Harbour?  I felt I needed to go!  I bundled up in my warm layers and I went for it.  I arrived much earlier than necessary and the boat was sitting there.  I questioned could I change over from the trip I was booked on to the trip that was just about to leave.  It was no issue as the boat was not even near full, in fact I immediately boarded with only two others and off we went. 
  

Upon arrival, the rain stopped and stayed stopped until we boarded the boat for the return trip back.  Just after getting off and crossing the dock, I looked back to capture this photo of our ride.

In 1749 Georges Island became a strategic location for harbour defence.  It is named after King George II. It became home to some members of the Royal Artillery and other British regiments and in later years it become home to members of the Canadian Forces.  
View towards Halifax.  
Georges Island is a National Park Historic Site. 
There are four of those famous red chairs on the Island.

The original Georges Island Lighthouse was built in 1876 and destroyed by fire in 1916.  This current lighthouse was built in 1917 as a replacement.  The lighthouse became automated in 1974. 
four Parks employees
While strolling around Georges Island, a boat tour employee came to let us know the last boat returning to Cable Wharf would be at noon.  The weather forecast was looking bad and they needed to close down the Island, get the Parks people off and get the boat docked at Halifax Harbour.  I checked my watch and had enough time to see what was left to see.....

....and to go for a tour through the tunnels with one of the parks employees.  
I took just a few photos inside.
snails live on the walls inside the tunnels

After the tour inside, I checked out a few more spots outside and then headed to the dock to catch the ride back. It was a few seconds after taking this photo, the rain began again.
 
It was shortly after noon when the boat docked and I disembarked.  I was hungry, hungry for fish!  This restaurant was just a hope skip and a jump from the boat dock.  I entered and stayed quite a while. 
I asked for a lite local beer and this was the recommendation, a Propeller pilsner!
When I entered the restaurant, I asked for a table for one by a window where I could enjoy a beer and fish & chips.  Well I went for the beer but a lobster roll instead of the fish.  It was significant in size and delicious!  

By the time I exited the restaurant, the waterfront was deserted and it was pouring rain. I hiked back up that hill and was soaked by the time I got to my room.  Even though, I was glad I went to Georges Island.  Now was the time to get all comfy and cozy and stay put!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.