Friday, June 23, 2023

Halifax Citadel, Halifax Nova Scotia June 2023

This National Historic Site sits kitty-corner from my home away from home and was the view out the picture window in my bedroom.  The Halifax Citadel was an active military installation for over two hundred years first for the British Army and then the Canadian Army. The first Citadel was build in 1749 to 1776.  There was a second and third one built and the Citadel standing now was constructed in 1828.


History was not my most favourite subject in school and still remains low on my interest scale.  I am good with a little bit of information but much prefer seeing the sights at locations rather than hearing or reading all the stories.  Visiting here was on my list of things I would like to do if time permitted during this trip to Nowa Scotia.  On this morning I had a few hours to pass so I crossed the street and climbed the Hill to the entrance.
On the way up, I saw this, it's a remotely operated lawn cutter.  I saw one recently off a major road through Calgary with the operator close by.  There was no operator in sight for this one on Citadel Hill.  

I presented my National Parks Discovery Pass at the ticket booth so no additional fees were required.   
passing through the tunnel
views around the lower area



After visiting some of the sites at the base, I climbed the stairs to the upper level and strolled around the entire area.  It was a gorgeous morning and it was hot already.  There was no shelter to be had up here.
Drill Demonstrations take place throughout the day.
Troops heading to perform a Cannon Firing Demonstration.
I watched for awhile and carried on with walking around.  This is the cannon the troops were heading for and eventually performed a firing demonstration as I watched and listened from a far. 
at one of the cannons on the upper level
It was time to head down Citadel Hill and continuing heading down to the waterfront.
looking up at the Citadel Clock Tower

When I landed down at the Waterfront, I strolled around a bit but wanted to save big strolling for the afternoon with friends.  Our plan was for a late late lunch so I wanted something light right now to hold me over.  In all my visits to the waterfront, there was always a line up at Katch. That tells you something! It just opened for lunch and I was the first customer.  
I ordered one Fish Taco.  I found a table with an umbrella for shade and settled in for a short time savouring the sights, the sounds and this Fish Taco.  If there had been a long line up when I was ready for a bite to eat, the wait would have been well worth it!  




No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.