Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Point Pleasant Park & Halifax Harbour, Nova Scotia June 2023

In all my years of living in Nova Scotia decades ago, today I asked myself, “Why during those years did I not visit Point Pleasant Park?”  That question came in a matter of minutes once I walked through the entrance off Young Street.  It was green, lush with forest lined trails, little ponds, open meadows, history, water vistas, birds, peaceful and so pretty. I stuck to the main trails but there were many options to veer off those and take routes less travelled.

Blue Jay
This was one of the historic points, it is The Prince of Wales Tower.  It was the first of 200 towers that were built (5 being in the Halifax area) for coastal defence.
view along the Northwest Arm


Sailors Memorial with view towards the Atlantic Ocean
walking along Sailors Memorial Way
After a couple of hours strolling around Point Pleasant Park, I arrived back at where I entered.  From here I aimed for the water, again.  I noticed a sign I did not see on my prior visits. A section of The Great Trail includes the Halifax Waterfront boardwalk.  
I brought a light lunch with me but when I saw the entrance to The Lower Deck, my focus was diverted to something much more tasty.  
an Alexander’s Keith Blonde Ale brewed a couple of minutes down the street
The other day I had a Lobster Roll, I had Atlantic Salmon at the wedding, and yesterday I went with Fish & Chips. Today was the day for Fish Cakes! 
While searching for local flare, I came upon Black Bear Ice Cream.
The single scoop of Salted Carmel on a waffle cone paired nicely with the scenery.
I picked one of those colourful chairs lining the harbour and settled in. The sea sung a song that embraced me.  An hour later, I pulled myself away from the chair and once again hit that hill back up to my home away from home.



5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Still so much I did not get to do but would have loved to.

      Delete
  2. I spent quite a bit of time in Point Pleasant Park when I lived in that area. It truly is lovely, as are your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the perfect place to go in this day and age when being one with nature is a big thing as is forest bathing. Maybe you will get back there one day on one of your visits to the city.

      Delete
    2. You are inspiring me to revisit my city more!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.