Friday, June 23, 2023

Ring of Kerry Virtual Challenge COMPLETE June 19, 2023

Well, that's a wrap much sooner than I had planned and my medal is already in the mail!  As of right now, it is leaving Pontiac, Michigan on its way to Canada.  I will receive it this coming week.  The kilometres accumulated quickly and easily once I reached Nova Scotia and put my feet to the pavement to sight see.   



My pacer (red marker) was far behind when I reached the finish line.




Excerpt from postcard:  "When the first transatlantic cable was installed in 1858 between Newfoundland Canada and Valentia Island near Waterville it didn't come without its problems. Working for a mere three weeks due to weak cables, it took five further attempts across nine years to eventually succeed in maintaining a lasting connection. The Atlantic Telegraph Co. had a monopoly over the industry and as a result the Commercial Cable Company from New York was established to break the monopoly and reduce prices by successfully installing cables in 1884 from Waterville to Nova Scotia. This brought a hive of activity into the village and the need for more housing to accommodate company personnel who settled in the area. Waterville became the European hub for the Company and at its peak was the largest cable station in the world." 
 
Waterville Golf Links (photo from google maps)

view at Waterville from along the Ring of Kerry route (photo from google maps)



These are the final two postcards that popped into my mailbox.



Early on in this challenge, I spent time learning about the places I was traveling through and admired many of the virtual views.  Once I arrived in Nova Scotia, doing that fell by the way side.  The guide who drove me out to Peggy's Cove did say that many think Ireland looks similar to the landscape around Peggy's Cove.  The real thing beats out virtual every time but viewing virtual fills the void and can be where dreams begin! 



2 comments:

  1. Interesting that Linda W is blogging about her visit to th ring of Kerry, as you complete this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have been reading about her trip there.

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.