Tuesday, June 13, 2023

this & that.....

.....to catch up before sharing scenery of another sort!  

It was an incredible morning to be "out & about" enjoying nature under a pretty sky with clear air. It had been awhile since I wandered up on Nose Hill so I wandered far and wide to pass a few hours.  It is surprising how green the hills look considering we are still waiting for that long needed moisture. 
Wild Gaillardia
(also known as a Brown-Eyed Susan)
keeping a watchful eye over me and a man with his dog
Balsamroot


********

My heart breaks for Waterton Lakes National Park!  I am grateful to have had that trip there back at the end of May.  Many trails, roads and facilities only reopened over the past couple of years and this spring after being destroyed by the Kenow fire of 2017.  Some locations are still under repair.  Then on the night of June 11th torrential rains wrecked havoc on this beautiful Park.  The new growth after the fire was not big enough nor strong enough yet to help deter the rock and land slides.



Here are a few photos from the Parks Site:  

Bears Hump trailhead and parking lot.
Akamina Parkway
arial view of Bears Hump Trail and Parking Lot
arial view of Akamina Parkway


********


I have been revisiting trips I took over the years.   In June of 2012, I took a road trip to Craters of the Moon in Idaho, Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park. My favourite of all three locations was Grand Teton.  Before going, I did loads of homework on what to see, where to hike, what to photograph.  I saw some gorgeous sunrises, beautiful lakes, and lovely scenery while hiking.  My favourite photograph is this one, it is the T.A. Moulton Barn.  It is the most photographed barn in America, located in the Mormon Row Historic District in Grand Teton National Park. 

This is a recent water-colour painting I did of the T.A. Moulton Barn.  The snow on the mountain peaks is white gouache.  When I looked back at my blog post from Grand Teton National Park, I did not write much and I was disappointed to realize that.  I tried to remember back to the day I visited this area but my memories were lacking.  Note to self:  write lots about my trips!

********

Another gift, a day of lovely blue sky and clear air to be "out & about"!  

Balsamroot

Yellow Warbler
sleepy & fluffy Song Sparrow
Wild Rose (flower of Alberta)
Grey Catbird with lots to meow about!


********

My intentions were to post a progress report on my Ring of Kerry Virtual Challenge when I was about half way along.  The half way mark has come and gone sooner than expected.  Time was not on my side to post a report so this is what I have to share for now.  I will do a repot once I cross the finish line.





1 comment:

  1. I love the Brown-eyed Susan and the fox but, like you devastated by the scenes at Waterton!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.