Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Beaver Ponds to Timber Harvesting May 5, 2021

I wanted distance but I wanted easy distance with scenery, away from the city, where it was quiet, where I could hear the birds chirp and where the breeze could drift in one ear and blow the mess of stress out the other ear!  I was first at the gate this morning with many more following much later most of who buzzed along on those e-bikes.  What a gorgeous start to my day!
The Beaver Ponds are just ahead of the gate and to the left.   I have been a few times but this morning was the most beautiful of all with the calmness in the air and some of those fluffy puffy white clouds in the sky.   The reflections were perfect.

This is a Solitary Sandpiper.  That's what my bird book tells me due to the shorter green legs, white eye ring, spotted back, white lore along with a few other distinct markings. While focusing to capture this shot something caught the corner of my eye and when I looked I missed photographing a blue heron flying away. 
It was early enough that a few dew drops still remained.
After meandering through the Beaver Ponds then checking out the campground close by, it was time to get on the road again.  I spread my time between the road and the trail to the left of the rail as I ventured along Route 66. 
The higher up the road I hiked, the more snow there was.  
That mess between my ears is long gone!  I love days like this!
My intentions were to check out a Mustang Hill or two.  They sit behind these trees yet I would enter the forest further along where the Timber Harvesting pull out is. I was already beginning to think, I may not get far in the forest.
When I reached Timber Harvesting I took some time to enjoy the view and snap a shot or two.  My stomach was growling so I answered that calling with a boiled egg, a peanut butter sandwich and a granola bar for desert.  
that's Banded Peak
I hit the trail that lead off Route 66 into the forest and reached where it intersected with a main trail to head up to Mustang Hills.  Nope not doing this!  That's what I voiced out loud to myself.  There was too much snow still.  I did an about turn and made my way back to Route 66.

By now there was a solo gentleman at Timber Harvesting.  He turned and came my way, we exchanged pleasantries and confirmed we were both ready to head back so we socially distanced hiked and talked the entire way back.  This road will open at 8:00am on May 15th and soon after that I will motor down Route 66.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.