Monday, May 17, 2021

Powderface East Ridge & Forgetmenot Pond May 17, 2021

Before heading out past that gate along Route 66 which opened at 8:00am on Saturday , I let the weekend warriors wander there. Come Monday when they all went about their work week, I went west beyond the open gate to hike up to Powderface East Ridge which I know as Sunrise Hill.  

The route gets your heart pumping right from the car door.  It was not long after hitting the trail that I needed to delayer, it was warm & muggy.  I made a business of just getting up the dry trail, into the trees, through the snow and then when I popped out into the open, I began to "remember to breathe".

 

From here on up, the trail was snow free and dry.  I watched for crocuses but I believe it is still early season for those on this slope.  I kept looking behind me to see the mountain views get bigger.  I liked the smooth wavy division between the cloud and the blue sky. 
someone picked the bark to create the heart
a gray jay (aka whisky jack)
I reached the pass between Sunrise Hill and the steep slope up to the main drag of Powderface East Ridge. Some snow remained here but it was easy to circumnavigate it.  The cloud formation wrapped around to here, where it met up with the blue sky .
creating extensions to the Inukshuk
looks under the weather but is actually full of life
high enough that Banded Peak is now visible
I reached the summit!  I picked a rock in the shape of a mountain to include as a prop.  That's the Little Elbow River far below me in the middle.  That little blue circle in the lower middle right is Forgetmenot Pond.
snack time
I savoured a lengthy visit on the summit.  I noticed others far below following the trail to the pass below.  I took a little more time before packing up and beginning the descent.  We met along the way and exchanged pleasantries. This was the view in front of me as I descended. 
looking back up at the summit of Sunrise Hill
Before reaching my car, I met a few others who were on their way up.  We all picked a perfect day to make our way up into this gorgeous area.  There was still  more beauty to see!  I changed my footwear then hopped in my car and drove over to Forgetmenot Pond.   

When I arrived at the parking lot, my initial feeling was disappointment.  The road to get here only opened at 8:00am on Saturday and now it was noon on Monday.  Already there was garbage everywhere.  Picnic people left their bags of garbage at the picnic sites where wildlife got into it.  It was also scattered around the garbage bins and on the grassy spaces around the Pond.  Another thing I saw which I don't even know is permitted in a Provincial Park was someone dug up a section of grass on the bank of the Pond and planted pansies.  I wonder will the $90.00/year or $15.00/day Conservation Fee that comes into effect on June 1st remedy there being a mess.  Will they hire people other than the regular maintenance people to pick up all the garbage?

Forgetmenot Pond itself was beautiful!  I love this place at this time of year when there is still ice in the water and the mountains peaks are still topped with winter white.  This is a creek which leads to the Pond.





I look forward to returning to Forgetmenot Pond, 
putting my feet up and staying awhile.   


2 comments:

  1. Some amazing photos! So sad about the mess at Forgetmenot Pond though...people just don’t get it! But I too look forward to visiting with you, putting my feet up & enjoying. Norma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope for a nice day soon so we can create memories at Forgetmenot Pond that we won't forget!

      Delete

I look forward to reading your comments! All comments are moderated.